Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you give constructive feed back? My CV. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, The Student Room members!
    I'm 16 and study Business and ICT at level 3 (B-tech) and I want to have a part-time job to fit around the studies as I'm only in 16 hours a week. Could you let me know if my CV is good enough to send off for retail shops, fast food establishments, etc? Thank you!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docxthestudentroom CV ADVICE EXAMPLE.docx (15.8 KB, 18 views)

ReputationRep:
    it looks alright to me but u may want to get someone else's opinion as well

one thing though 🤔
    I not sure that creating a cv is good evidence of using IT skills, but that may just be me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth having a look at the Ask a Manager blog. I would take date of birth off your CV

ReputationRep:
    I would get rid of the "often finish work before everyone else" part. I think you're trying to say that you finish tasks quickly which can be phrased better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the bit like "I demonstrated my IT skills by making this CV all on my own" like it looks like a basic CV? There's nothing special about it or anything that makes it stand out... it's just...okay...
    Like I made my CV on photoshop and made it stand out and i still don't put that..

also i feel like you should only go to two pages if you have enough to fill two pages...one and a half looks a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    I had a quick look at the opening section, just a few pointers!
    - 'GCSEs' not "GCSE's"
    - Perhaps 'alongside my academic endeavours' rather than 'to fit around my studies'

ReputationRep:
    Paragraphs in the volunteering section, and if you speak Welsh, why not repeat the bits about the Welsh baccalaureate in Cymraeg?

ReputationRep:
    This particular example you've given isn't great: "I'm able to communicate and interact well with other people. I picked this up from being with a very talk active, family as we are always having interesting conversations with each other."

All you are saying is that you have very good communication skills because you talk to your family. I mean, who doesn't talk to their family.

You will need to use other, more convincing evidence of your communication skills. You should use examples at school where communication was vital in order to acheive your goal, or you can use Rugby as another example (although it seems that you mentioned this elsewhere in your CV).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbsjohnz)
    That was so bad. 7 C's lmfao
    Irrelevant comment. At least 4 of my subjects were 1-5 marks of a B. Not to mention I don't handle stress very well and had tonsilitis during exams.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You only packed one bag when raising money for the rugby club? Actually, the whole of the volunteering section is badly written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbsjohnz)
    That was so bad. 7 C's lmfao
    You're the biggest C for that comment.
    Laughing at others grades like that isnt nice. You dont know how much hard work someone must have put for their grades for you to put them down like that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone! I have made a lot of changes to my CV, much appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.