anemonepages
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've just covered the cell cycle today, and I'm really confused as to what forms DNA is and when. It says that during interphase, DNA is loosely distributed chromatin, which then condenses to become chromosomes. But I thought that in a cell's normal functioning state, no division, DNA was in the form of chromosomes. So when is DNA chromosomes and when is it chromatin? Also, before DNA replication, does DNA exist as 46 separate chromosomes rather than pairs?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Troker101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
DNA is in the form of chromatin in interphase, but it condensed into chromosomes during prophase so it can be split in mitosis. During interphase, the DNA replicates so that each daughter cell can take half of each chromosome to have a combined total of 23 pairs. After cytokinesis, the DNA uncoils back into chromatin
anemonepages
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Troker101)
DNA is in the form of chromatin in interphase, but it condensed into chromosomes during prophase so it can be split in mitosis. During interphase, the DNA replicates so that each daughter cell can take half of each chromosome to have a combined total of 23 pairs. After cytokinesis, the DNA uncoils back into chromatin
Thank you 🙏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.47%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
42.37%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.39%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads