Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is wearing a white poppy disrespectful? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    A discussion I've been having on other sites with Armistice Day looming - is wearing a white poppy rather than a red one disrespectful to the war dead and veterans?

For a background on white poppies: http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index.html

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    YES incredibly
    A white poppy stands for peace and that’s ok
    Armistice day is to remember the sacrifice made by men and women, giving their lives, limbs and sanity etc to give you the opportunity to live in peace
    Everyone wants peace. If you really need to wear one, wear both.

ReputationRep:
    If anything the recent hijacking of the red poppy by jingoistic nationalists is disrespectful.I highly doubt the last thing any of those young men who died would want is more war.So why is the red poppy used to glorify war now? Why is the war in iraq conflated with WW2 and WW1?Those people in WW2 and WW1 had no choice.They were conscripted.If you choose to fight in iraq and afganistan for your governments interests then that is your choice.You have to accept the consequences that go with that.Its not the same thing as being forced to go.The white poppy stands for peace and an end to any more war.How is that disrespectful? Whats disrespectful is politicians claiming to never forget the war dead with one hand whilst simultaneously starting another war with the other. That's disrespect right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    If anything the recent hijacking of the red poppy by jingoistic nationalists is disrespectful.I highly doubt the last thing any of those young men who died would want is more war.So why is the red poppy used to glorify war now?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    you can read more here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2938251

ReputationRep:
    I mean the red one is stained with blood.....

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
      A discussion I've been having on other sites with Armistice Day looming - is wearing a white poppy rather than a red one disrespectful to the war dead and veterans?

I'm a member of the Royal British Legion, and to be honest I'd never even thought about this before. I'm afraid, though, that as a member of the RBL, I can't openly give my opinion.

I don't wear a poppy. An outward sign, for a week or two a year, of a respect that should be shown always? That's more disrespectful than wearing a white poppy instead of a red one.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      I'm a member of the Royal British Legion, and to be honest I'd never even thought about this before. I'm afraid, though, that as a member of the RBL, I can't openly give my opinion.

I don't wear a poppy. An outward sign, for a week or two a year, of a respect that should be shown always? That's more disrespectful than wearing a white poppy instead of a red one.
      there is no rule for how long you can wear a poppy. i have a poppy sticker all year round on my windscreen. a red poppy.

ReputationRep:
      Wear what you want. Want to wear a white poppy, then wear a white poppy.
      Want to wear a red poppy, then wear a red poppy.
      Want to wear both, then wear both a Red and White poppy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
      Wear what you want. Want to wear a white poppy, then wear a white poppy.
      Want to wear a red poppy, then wear a red poppy.
      Want to wear both, then wear both a Red and White poppy.
      This for me as well.

I wore a red poppy last year. I might wear one this year.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wilfred Little)
      This for me as well.

I wore a red poppy last year. I might wear one this year.
      exactly.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      I have no idea how anybody could get offended by someone wearing a white poppy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wilfred Little)
      lol
      You dont think it glorifys war? It obviously does.
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      As I understand it, white poppies respect the dead, but oppose what they died for (ideologically speaking).

I see no issue with that.

ReputationRep:
      Would rather not wear a poppy tbh

ReputationRep:

I don't think i ever seen a white poppy in real life and I would not have any idea were to by one

ReputationRep:

Represent all victims of war- so that includes ISIS Nazi Germany, communism under Stalin alqueda- when all of these are evil regimes.
      Our remembrance money should be used to commemorate our great blood sacrifice to save a continent, who now hate us. Money should go to helping homeless veterans, funding community projects with the forces- ie the mental health of former soldiers

ReputationRep:
      When I was at uni I used to wear a red poppy and a white one. Now I don't wear either of them because of how politicised it has all become and how people on both sides try to pressure people into wearing one (this is especially the case with the red poppies). It hate how the government is trying to trick the population into indirectly supporting its wars, and an outward sign of remembrance doesn't really make a difference. I would rather just donate to wounded soldiers and people from war-torn countries instead.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FL Watch)
      Represent all victims of war- so that includes ISIS Nazi Germany, communism under Stalin alqueda- when all of these are evil regimes.
      Our remembrance money should be used to commemorate our great blood sacrifice to save a continent, who now hate us. Money should go to helping homeless veterans, funding community projects with the forces- ie the mental health of former soldiers

I see nothing wrong with commemorating the ordinary soldiers in nazi germany. They were just normal people who fought a war because their government told them to.How many people actually knew about Hitlers final solution? It was probably just the higher up officers and the guards who worked there.Most people are not evil.That's just what governments tell the population in order to get them to fight each other.The loss of so many young lives was a tragedy whether german or british or any other nationality.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.