Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is wearing a white poppy disrespectful? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sadly Poppy Day which I recollected to be completely about sombre remembrance, thanks and reflection seems in recent years to have got caught up with religious hatred and intolerance. Not really sure why this is, seems linked to more recent 'wars', and I'm sure it's not what the Royal British Legion want. I used to like to wear a poppy but now I'm in two minds. As to the white poppy while I think it would be better if we had one agreed symbol to recognise the sacrifice of war I think it is grossly intolerant to react aggressively against it. Or indeed against those that don't want to wear a red poppy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    As I already said, we all want peace but it’s not much to ask to leave one day a year on which we can publicly remember the sacrifices of men and women to give you the opportunity to live in peace. It’s not a political statement.
    Talking about "what they died for" is indeed a political statement. It's adding interpretation that people may not necessarily agree with. Particularly as it's the tendency to assume your own country's war dead always did something of value and always were on the right side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Talking about "what they died for" is indeed a political statement. It's adding interpretation that people may not necessarily agree with. Particularly as it's the tendency to assume your own country's war dead always did something of value and always were on the right side.
    You will note therefore I also said victims on all sides.
    Don’t make assumptions on my political views.

ReputationRep:
    Particularly as it's the tendency to assume your own country's war dead always did something of value and always were on the right side.
    this is so offensive to the untold legions of brave men & women who gave everything for our country.

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly frank it's a poppy, who gives a flying ****. It's hardly walking around with a swastika now is it? Some perspective is required here.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Source?
    Here:

www.ppu.org.uk/down/PPUannualReport%202015-16.pdf

In fact 2015 shows a deficit.

ReputationRep:
    You will note therefore I also said victims on all sides.
    Don’t make assumptions on my political views.
    That doesn't make sense. They can't have all died to "give us the opportunity to live in peace". If one side was dying for a certain thing, then by definition the other side was fighting against it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eunomia)
    I'm willing to bet that you have never been to a warzone, Mr strong I-am-so-not-a-snowflake. Care to volunteer?
    I would if necessary

ReputationRep:
    It never ceases to amaze me how easily people regard things as disrespectful or get offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FL Watch)
    But thats not the argument I was trying to make. ISIS are not victims they are terrorists and they know this- I do not support funding and helping the enemy. Our men died fighting against riff raff time and time again the white poppy is the pacifist poppy- showing zero respect for the millions of our men who died in war In fact if i seen some white poppy sellers in Birmingham they had there stall trashed and heads kicked in- no one likes the enemy.
    You do realise that pacifism appeals to wars that don't have to be fought and military intervention when not required, going to war because of profit rather than the actual need to defend ourselves or our allies? Understand that our men died fighting against riff raff but also died to help line the pockets of the government and politicians. It's where people say "These men didn't need to die."

The fact that you're trying to prove some kind of honour and bravado by saying you'd trash and kick in the heads of people that don't support unnecessary conflicts just goes to show that there are bloodthirsty, brainwashed terrorists even here in the west. Those that attack people that only want to support peace because they think they've got some kind of moral high ground. Jesus Christ, have a bit of dignity about yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I wear neither. I have my reasons, and have gotten into arguments about it previously on this site. But I respect those who wear either or don't wear one at all. It's personal preference. No need to get into someone's face about it.

I’m pretty sure they’ll be disappointed by your thoughts. I’ll let you know their response
      You do that, dear :yawn:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FL Watch)
      Wrong. The white poopy defines terrorism- the owner of it said so much pacifism brings the aspect of if you want to invade come and invade. Pacifism indicates no army, no army makes it so towel heads can come and invade and we will watch them. If you have Zero respect for our WW1/WW2 you buy a white poopy. Our public isn't often wrong and barely anyone wears a white poopy.
      "Towel heads"? Thank you for revealing what sort of person you are. I had my suspicions and you just confirmed them. The only way to deal with people like you is to either report or ignore, as reasonable discussions are not a possibility.

ReputationRep:
      I have just been watching 999 emergency I hope the money helps these men and woman it's disgracefull that they r calling 999

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.