The Student Room Group

MAT 2017 Discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 13banfields
Anyone know when are we allowed to discuss the questions? I can't find answers on their website

I believe sometime tomorrow morning is the time we can talk, when the original MAT prep page reopens. AFAIK, by tomorrow morning, everyone will have sat the MAT
Analysis of the answers below guys:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Spoiler

I also found it hard. In the past papers I was scoring in the range 70-80 in every paper I did. However, I couldn't do most of the questions 4 and 5. I didn't even have much time left to think about it. I practised so much, I have done tons of MAT and STEP past papers and I still couldn't do it. I don't know where I went wrong but I am expecting something around 60 :frown: I am not good enough for Oxford but at least I tried and did everything I could. I guess you really have to be smart to do well in that.
I literally did every past paper over and over again. Did tons of STEP questions, brought books to practice my reasoning for the question 5's, and solve complex geometry problems. Everything all to waste. My dreams of going to Oxford and imperial have been shattered and I'm expecting to get something around 50!

Feel so worthless and sad.
Original post by Linnnn123
I also found it hard. In the past papers I was scoring in the range 70-80 in every paper I did. However, I couldn't do most of the questions 4 and 5. I didn't even have much time left to think about it. I practised so much, I have done tons of MAT and STEP past papers and I still couldn't do it. I don't know where I went wrong but I am expecting something around 60 :frown: I am not good enough for Oxford but at least I tried and did everything I could. I guess you really have to be smart to do well in that.

Totally agree with you. It was literally impossible for me to have practiced anymore for this paper, and at the end of the day, it came down to my raw math skills and talent which was clearly not good enough for this test. I guess I was never smart enough for Oxford and will have to make myself content with going to some other university. I scored 80 on the 2016 paper under timed conditions and yet this years paper had me completely stumped.
Original post by Rohan77642
I literally did every past paper over and over again. Did tons of STEP questions, brought books to practice my reasoning for the question 5's, and solve complex geometry problems. Everything all to waste. My dreams of going to Oxford and imperial have been shattered and I'm expecting to get something around 50!

Feel so worthless and sad.

Exactly the same here :frown:

which colleges did you apply to?
Have you heard back from any of them?
Original post by kousei
Don't think the test was too ideal. I only answered 1 part of Q2 and about half of Q5 with very little confidence and made educated guesses on more MC questions than I would've liked. However, I did enjoy the compsci questions so hopefully that helps me out in terms of score.

Question 6 broke my heart. It’s always my favourite question but this time it really wasn’t for me. Really panicked at it because I expected it to be ok

same lol
Did anyone find the paper to be significantly harder than the 2015 and 2013 paper? Or is it just me?
Did anyone find the paper to be significantly harder than the 2015 and 2013 paper? Or is it just me?

Yep, me too. I usually score around 50-60 but I think I got about 40 in that exam. Question 4 and 5 were a joke.

no i definitely did!
All in all, the worst MAT paper I've ever done
Original post by Calg_
All in all, the worst MAT paper I've ever done

Yeah bro.
Some of the multiple choice questions were literraly greek or latin to me.

Original post by Calg_
Yep, me too. I usually score around 50-60 but I think I got about 40 in that exam. Question 4 and 5 were a joke.

Original post by ithinkitslily
no i definitely did!

ayyYYYYYYYYYYYYY we all flopped

I honestly think 60 will be among the successful applicant score for this year so I wouldn't worry - if you've been getting 70-80 in every paper you'll be one of the higher scorers.
Oh god good to know I'm not the only one, I hated it this year!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EmilySarah00
Ahhha same completely guessed!

Same, multiple choice this year was just ********

But I think we are not allowed to discuss the content of questions till tomorrow :smile:
Guys dont discuss question specifics. You are helping your competitors.
Original post by natalieetx
Oh god good to know I'm not the only one, I hated it this year! I wish they included similar questions to these with Alice, Bob and Charlie (expert logicians :wink:). They were my favourite ones, I just loved them! Why did they throw them out :frown:

You literally just told a competitor of yours that this type of question is not coming. You're basically harming your own chances.

Quick Reply

Latest