Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Xmas Party Anxiety Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a 20 year old British asian muslim male. I have had my current job for a year exactly. My work are doing a xmas party on the 7th of december. I was invited to it last year but didn't go as i didn't know anyone. I am planning to go this year and I have told everyone that i am going.

But the thing is I never go out anywhere, Ive never been clubbing, I've never danced, I've never drank alcohol or anything. My personality is actually pretty boring and I just stay home all day when I'm not working or when I'm not at uni. I also only eat halal food (don't eat meat when out, as it may not be halal meat. Also can't eat anything cooked in animal oil or animal fat). I am also severely allergic to nuts. The work xmas party is going to have the following:

- DJ
    - Heated Terrace
    - Photo Booth
    - Buffet
    - The party is in a country hall which is often booked for events

I have several questions I need answering by you guys to help me feel less awkward at the xmas party.

1. What shall I wear?
    2. What if there isn't a vegetarian option?
    3. What do i expect at the xmas party?
    4. How do i fit in?
    5. I cant dance and have never danced, so don't know how to?
    6. What shall i do at the xmas party to make myself look in place?
    7. I don't want to make a fuss about the halal food and nut allergy as it may cause stress to my supervisor who is organising it. Shall i still tell her, and if so how shall i tell her?

I really want to go to the party but i don't want to be seen as boring or awkward.. Please help!!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Il971)
    I am a 20 year old British asian muslim male. I have had my current job for a year exactly. My work are doing a xmas party on the 7th of december. I was invited to it last year but didn't go as i didn't know anyone. I am planning to go this year and I have told everyone that i am going.

But the thing is I never go out anywhere, Ive never been clubbing, I've never danced, I've never drank alcohol or anything. My personality is actually pretty boring and I just stay home all day when I'm not working or when I'm not at uni. I also only eat halal food (don't eat meat when out, as it may not be halal meat. Also can't eat anything cooked in animal oil or animal fat). I am also severely allergic to nuts. The work xmas party is going to have the following:

- DJ
    - Heated Terrace
    - Photo Booth
    - Buffet
    - The party is in a country hall which is often booked for events

I have several questions I need answering by you guys to help me feel less awkward at the xmas party.

1. What shall I wear?
    2. What if there isn't a vegetarian option?
    3. What do i expect at the xmas party?
    4. How do i fit in?
    5. I cant dance and have never danced, so don't know how to?
    6. What shall i do at the xmas party to make myself look in place?
    7. I don't want to make a fuss about the halal food and nut allergy as it may cause stress to my supervisor who is organising it. Shall i still tell her, and if so how shall i tell her?

I really want to go to the party but i don't want to be seen as boring or awkward.. Please help!!!
    HI Il971

That's great you're thinking of going this year, do you know anyone from work that you can go with? That might help you to feel less anxious.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having never been clubbing or dancing or drinking alcohol, it's not for everybody. Especially please don't worry about only eating halal meat or being allergic to nuts - your workplace should respect this and all you have to do is let them know. They are required to supply suitable alternatives!

In response to your questions:
    1. It doesn't really matter - wear something smart-ish, like a shirt and jeans? Just anything you're going to feel comfortable going in. Maybe ask a colleague what they're going to wear if you really don't know.
    2. There will be vegetarian options, just let your work know your beliefs and they will cater to this. Chances are there are going to be other vegetarians at your work anyway.
    3. I don't know what you'd expect of the christmas party, usually there's lots of chatting, eating and activities going on. As it gets on there'll be a bit of dancing, but don't worry - nobody is very good at dancing really haha. Just enjoy yourself!
    4. If you want to fit in, just be yourself!
    5. Again, with dancing, see point 3.
    6. Don't worry about looking in place, again, just do what makes you comfortable and be yourself.
    7. It really isn't a fuss about your allergy or your beliefs. Just let the party organiser know. You could ask her "What sort of food is there going to be at the party? I'm halal/vegetarian and allergic to nuts, so I just wondered if there's anything I could eat?"

I hope this helps! If you find the anxiety a bit overwhelming, it could always be worth a trip to your GP - they'll be able to give you further help with anxiety.

Let me know if you've got any other worries! I'm always around to answer questions .

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    Wear a shirt and jeans or suit trousers, no tie, not as formal as you would usually wear at work. There should definitely be a vegetarian option so I wouldn’t worry about that. People will probably be drinking and being more social and fun than they usually are at work . If you have any people or friends that you are close to in work stick with them or if not just go up to someone that’s on their own and start a convo as they’re probably in the same boat as you. Put music on in your House and dance in the mirror. Look up simple dance moves on YouTube don’t do anything to crazy as you don’t want to stand out too much haha. Just dance and look like you’re enjoying yourself. Don’t drink if you don’t want to but still hold a drink of something in your hand if you want to fit in and dance if most people are dancing. Casually ask what time it starts at or something and then ask if there is going to be food at it and ask about your requirements.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.