Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be a normal person if you still have no friends and never a girlfriend by 28? Watch

I would say that I'm not normal. or if that's too vague, psychologically healthy. so am probably psychologically damaged by now.

does anyone comes through this and remain a normal person?

It's much more common than you realize and there is no such thing as 'normal'.

You could sit next to a 28 year old in a long term relationship who is abusive/emotionally manipulative etc - where would you and he be on the 'normal' scale then? Having a significant other does not make someone superior or mean they are 'normal'. Just look at a newspaper and see all the people in relationships/marriages who commit all sorts of crime etc. The best thing to do is focus on yourself and your happiness/personal growth - be the best version of yourself you can be and focus on your goals, regardless of whether that attracts others - do it for yourself first and foremost. Having a partner won't fix anything that is currently not right in your life - you need to be happy on your own rather than finding someone to make you happy.

You're fine, stop over analyzing. Society has got it in your head that you should have had a gf by now, ignore society, focus on living life and working towards goals.

I depended on someone for happiness and when they left I was completely depressed - that's not a good way to be. Don't put yourself in a position where your happiness is dependent on someone else. Have your own life/ambitions/dreams/interests etc and depend on yourself for happiness. If someone comes along that adds to it, then that's lovely - but never depend on it to get by. As for friends - I have 2 or 3, a couple years ago I had 0. I'm still the same person though and my mental health is dependent on my diet, exercise, hobbies and just being focused on the present and being grateful for what I have, rather than what I don't. I don't place any of my happiness in other human beings anymore - friends or partners, and it's done my mental health a world of good.

Just focus on you, that's my best advice - just go out and do what makes you happy and focus on everything that is positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's much more common than you realize and there is no such thing as 'normal'.

You could sit next to a 28 year old in a long term relationship who is abusive/emotionally manipulative etc - where would you and he be on the 'normal' scale then? Having a significant other does not make someone superior or mean they are 'normal'. Just look at a newspaper and see all the people in relationships/marriages who commit all sorts of crime etc. The best thing to do is focus on yourself and your happiness/personal growth - be the best version of yourself you can be and focus on your goals, regardless of whether that attracts others - do it for yourself first and foremost. Having a partner won't fix anything that is currently not right in your life - you need to be happy on your own rather than finding someone to make you happy.

You're fine, stop over analyzing. Society has got it in your head that you should have had a gf by now, ignore society, focus on living life and working towards goals.

I depended on someone for happiness and when they left I was completely depressed - that's not a good way to be. Don't put yourself in a position where your happiness is dependent on someone else. Have your own life/ambitions/dreams/interests etc and depend on yourself for happiness. If someone comes along that adds to it, then that's lovely - but never depend on it to get by. As for friends - I have 2 or 3, a couple years ago I had 0. I'm still the same person though and my mental health is dependent on my diet, exercise, hobbies and just being focused on the present and being grateful for what I have, rather than what I don't. I don't place any of my happiness in other human beings anymore - friends or partners, and it's done my mental health a world of good.

Just focus on you, that's my best advice - just go out and do what makes you happy and focus on everything that is positive.
    Very eloquent and beautiful reply

yes you are normal. It is just that you have not found people you click with.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.