Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I open an email from my ex-friend or just delete? Watch

We haven't spoken for almost a year. They can be really cruel and unkind which is why I removed them from my life. I feel like if I just delete it I won't have to deal with whatever is in it but I'm also curious - not particularly interested because I honestly don't believe they will have changed in the past year or be able to reflect on their own behavior. I feel like it's probably going to be a passive aggressive/mean spirited email that will put me in a bad mood. I have absolutely no intention of writing back because they have no concept of privacy and my response will be shared around/forwarded/photographed and put on social media if they don't like it - which they probably won't if they're rude to me.

What would you do?

Honestly i'd just delete it. I had a friend like that and I always used to open what she sent me until it got to a point that she was twisting anything i was saying and trying to ruin my new friendships. If you have a bad feeling about it, then delete it, because nothing like that is worth getting in a bad mood for

ReputationRep:
    My curiousity would get the better of me, but I would try to find some humour in it and would not reply.

ReputationRep:
    I'd read it if I was you bc it would annoy me to not know lol! You don't have to reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We haven't spoken for almost a year. They can be really cruel and unkind which is why I removed them from my life. I feel like if I just delete it I won't have to deal with whatever is in it but I'm also curious - not particularly interested because I honestly don't believe they will have changed in the past year or be able to reflect on their own behavior. I feel like it's probably going to be a passive aggressive/mean spirited email that will put me in a bad mood. I have absolutely no intention of writing back because they have no concept of privacy and my response will be shared around/forwarded/photographed and put on social media if they don't like it - which they probably won't if they're rude to me.

What would you do?
    Do not respond. I know what you must be going through, but for the sake of your own self and mind ignore and delete it as it will just cause more issues. Best to move on and live your life without such negativity.

(Original post by catsmeow_at_me)
    I'd read it if I was you bc it would annoy me to not know lol! You don't have to reply!
    Yeah I'm quite curious by nature so it's annoying. I just feel like if they say something unfair I will really want to reply but I just will not stoop to that - so that could annoy me even more than not reading it.

(Original post by starfab)
    My curiousity would get the better of me, but I would try to find some humour in it and would not reply.
    Haha, I guess laughing at it is always a good approach.

(Original post by anam109)
    Do not respond. I know what you must be going through, but for the sake of your own self and mind ignore and delete it as it will just cause more issues. Best to move on and live your life without such negativity.
    This is what I'm thinking - it could be opening a can of worms. I think I'm hoping for an apology but 99% sure I'm not going to get one and that's going to really annoy me even more. Like you say, I just don't need the negativity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.