Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i was driving down a quiet main road where the speed limit is 30. i had just come round a corner and i noticed my speedometer was at 32mph (my speedometer is digital so it definitely said 32) i noticed the speed camera on the right side of the road so i slowed down to 28 and saw it flash orange when i was about a meter away from it. will i get fined? i'm confused as yes i was going 32 further up the road but when i actually passed the camera i was at 28?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Articultr)
    i was driving down a quiet main road where the speed limit is 30. i had just come round a corner and i noticed my speedometer was at 32mph (my speedometer is digital so it definitely said 32) i noticed the speed camera on the right side of the road so i slowed down to 28 and saw it flash orange when i was about a meter away from it. will i get fined? i'm confused as yes i was going 32 further up the road but when i actually passed the camera i was at 28?
    Speedometers are always set to overread in a car. They usually overread by 10%.

And speed cameras usually give leniency for driver error anyways, but this isn't always the case.

I highly doubt you'll get a speeding fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Speedometers are always set to overread in a car. They usually overread by 10%.

And speed cameras usually give leniency for driver error anyways, but this isn't always the case.

I highly doubt you'll get a speeding fine.
    do you know if the speed camera would've actually taken a photo of my license plate as it was on the opposite side of the road facing me and flashed before i'd even passed it? i thought speed cameras took the photo of your rear but the flash completely threw me off so im not sure
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Articultr)
    do you know if the speed camera would've actually taken a photo of my license plate as it was on the opposite side of the road facing me and flashed before i'd even passed it? i thought speed cameras took the photo of your rear but the flash completely threw me off so im not sure
    AFAIK, if it was a GATSO camera it can get you both ways. IWMTom can you confirm?

But, I highly doubt your actual speed was more than 30 if your speedo said 32mph.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    AFAIK, if it was a GATSO camera it can get you both ways. IWMTom can you confirm?

But, I highly doubt your actual speed was more than 30 if your speedo said 32mph.
    Only just seen this - nah, they're usually focussed on a single side of the roan, and when I say usually, I've never seen otherwise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.