Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trump urges death penalty for Sayfullo Saipov Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Trump has repeated calls for the New York terror attack suspect to get the death penalty after the attack that killed 8 and badly injured a further 12. He has, however, backed off of his earlier calls for Sayfullo Saipov to be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

Some legal commentators have since suggested that Trump's calls for the death penalty could be seen as prejudicial to a trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41848151

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Trump has repeated calls for the New York terror attack suspect to get the death penalty after the attack that killed 8 and badly injured a further 12. He has, however, backed off of his earlier calls for Sayfullo Saipov to be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

Some legal commentators have since suggested that Trump's calls for the death penalty could be seen as prejudicial to a trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41848151
    Personally I would favour life imprisonment for Sayfullo. On the grounds that in the US life actually means life, and they keep prisoners like this in solitary confinement. It is an immensely cheering thought that old hooky, Abu Hamza, is locked up like that.

Also execution just makes terrorists martyrs which is what they always wanted anyway.

But Trump’s comments? Pretty stupid it seems to me. He really oughtn't to be commentating on ongoing legal proceedings, as POTUS.

Liked the way he cancelled the Diversity programme/Green Card lottery by which our little Muslim friend entered the first world to murder, though. Smart move, and sends a good message to American liberals.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree with his views that's for sure, however it's not something he should be commenting on given he is the president. I don't think we can criticise him too harshly for his input though, yes he shouldn't weigh in on pending criminal cases but who here honestly blames him? The criminal is a disgusting excuse for a human being and deserves nothing more than hell.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    I don't disagree with his views that's for sure, however it's not something he should be commenting on given he is the president. I don't think we can criticise him too harshly for his input though, yes he shouldn't weigh in on pending criminal cases but who here honestly blames him? The criminal is a disgusting excuse for a human being and deserves nothing more than hell.
    You're correct in your assessment of the criminal. That doesn't excuse Trump sticking his nose in (however it's to be expected with someone like him). The article mentions how Nixon made a similar view heard and had to retract. Something tells me Trump isn't the type to accept a mistake and follow suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    It clearly is.
    It is unfortunate that POTUS seems to have no understanding of how the US legal system works. Or anything else, outside of writing off his debts to people who can ill afford to carry his financial incompetence.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    While I don't think this will even register on the leaderboard of "most controversial things president trump has said" in the grand scheme of things as this is likely a sentiment shared by an enormous number of Americans, I hope his tweeting about it does result in Saipov evading the death penalty. That's partly because I'm strongly opposed to the death penalty (and that's equally because of its ineffectiveness as a deterrent as it is any moral conviction), and partly because it would be a hilarious illustration of Trump's incompetence and lack of understanding of his country's own legal system if he accidentally saved a Muslim terrorist from death because he couldn't keep his iPhone in his pocket long enough to check if tweeting about it was a potentially bad idea.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I support the death penalty, but in this particular case I hope he gets life in solitary.

ReputationRep:
    This is funny..

Name:  dumbdumb.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  65.4 KB

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.