Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I used to be a A/A* GCSE student. I really was passionate about my subjects and I found GCSEs really fun and interesting in the first year. However a lot of unfortunate things happen in the second year. My father passed away and I had to move to with my aunt in a different country.

The whole moving process, settling down combined with rough patches of depression consumed 6 months of my life. I didn't study at all. I just basically did nothing. Over time I began to feel better then I decided to apply to sit O-Levels (they didn't offer GCSE) however because of money and my extremely bad timing I applied to sit O-Levels 3 months before the final exams (Note: I only sat 5 subjects due to cost issues, before this I did 8 GCSEs). I had to self-study because no school wanted to accept me this late. In the end I got 3 A, B, C.

Now am doing my A-Levels. And If I were to achieve straight As for all my subjects (Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Language) would Oxford still consider a worthy candidate? Compared to other students who got straight As in their GCSEs and A-Levels, I wouldn't really stand out. I know Oxford and many other top universities will look at other factors beside A-Levels. So I just wanted to know if am chasing this empty dream.

edit: sorry if I sound pretentious....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatdude1)
    Basically I used to be a A/A* GCSE student. I really was passionate about my subjects and I found GCSEs really fun and interesting in the first year. However a lot of unfortunate things happen in the second year. My father passed away and I had to move to with my aunt in a different country.

The whole moving process, settling down combined with rough patches of depression consumed 6 months of my life. I didn't study at all. I just basically did nothing. Over time I began to feel better then I decided to apply to sit O-Levels (they didn't offer GCSE) however because of money and my extremely bad timing I applied to sit O-Levels 3 months before the final exams (Note: I only sat 5 subjects due to cost issues, before this I did 8 GCSEs). I had to self-study because no school wanted to accept me this late. In the end I got 3 A, B, C.

Now am doing my A-Levels. And If I were to achieve straight As for all my subjects (Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Language) would Oxford still consider a worthy candidate? Compared to other students who got straight As in their GCSEs and A-Levels, I wouldn't really stand out. I know Oxford and many other top universities will look at other factors beside A-Levels. So I just wanted to know if am chasing this empty dream.

edit: sorry if I sound pretentious....
    Yes. You shouldn't be disadvantaged due to this, to my knowledge, on the condition that you tell them of these 'extenuating circumstances'. Moreover, I don't think that straight As would strictly be necessary; I'd say that AABB is the minimum mark, but of course AAAA is far better. But anyway, if you happen to not tell them, your chances would be affected slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge care far less about GCSE grades. Ever considered Cambridge over Oxford or does it have to be Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    I think (not 100%) that once you have sent off your application to ucas and your predicted grades match the course you are applying for, you are sent by Cambridge, (probably also Oxford) an online form, that you fill out to say have you had any 'disruptions' to your learning? You can talk about what you have been through and how it has affected you now. Good luck! Don't be too disheartened if not... Cambridge was my dream up until 2 months ago when I looked at the stats of people who got in and it was a daft amount of A*s everywhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.