The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Ask a fresher - Management with Marketing BSc at Bath

Hey!

I'm Elena and I'm in my first year studying Management with Marketing. I thought I would make a thread for everyone who is interested in studying this subject at University of Bath. If you want to ask anything, feel free to quote me or send me a pm if that's easier for you.

My experience at Bath has been amazing so far and I'm more than happy to share my thoughts with all of you. It's such a great uni and there is a lot to discover about it, it totally exceeded my expectations.

My course also includes a 12 month placement in the 3rd year and I'm looking forward to that. I live in Norwood, which is the accommodation right above the SU, in campus. I have seen most of the other accommodations in campus as well so I can give you a lot of information about them as well.

Can't wait to talk to you all and good luck to everyone who is applying! :h:
Hi a few a questions.
I want to get accommodation at Northwood so what's the general living there like? Sharing bathrooms? The lounge/kitchen area, is it social, is that how you made friends?
Also I'm applying for Maths and in general Maths students get a pretty bad rep, do you know any Maths students or what it's like for them?
Thanks
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Hi, I just wanted to ask what Grades you got to get a place ??
Hi Elena,
I want to study this at bath, just wondering if you knew the applicants per place ratio... also, what a levels did you do??
Many thanks,
Max
Original post by Willjamessamuel
Hi a few a questions.
I want to get accommodation at Northwood so what's the general living there like? Sharing bathrooms? The lounge/kitchen area, is it social, is that how you made friends?
Also I'm applying for Maths and in general Maths students get a pretty bad rep, do you know any Maths students or what it's like for them?
Thanks

Hello!

Norwood was my first choice when I applied for accommodation, but to be honest all the accommodations are amazing so whatever you will be allocated, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Although, when making your own choices, it depends on what your exact preferences are. Eastwood is more like a neighbourhood with little houses, whereas the Quads is like a block of flats, along with Brendon Court, Westwood and Norwood. I found that the rooms in Norwood are actually a lot bigger than the rooms in other accommodations. And even though it's a single bed, its size is pretty good.

Norwood is more noisy because it's just above the Students' Union. This is why the 5th and the 6th floors get free tickets to the events in the club's campus. These events are called Score and Klass and they take place on Wednesday and on Saturday. If you don't go out that much, the noise could be bothering you, but there's nothing a pair of headphones won't solve!

The huge advantage is that Norwood is right in the centre of the campus, so you are super close to everything such as the library, all the restaurants and all the lecture buildings.

It's a really social place and it's really easy to go to other flats and to other floors and meet new people. Besides the flat's social space, everyone in Norwood gets a huge common social space on the 4th floor where you can organise parties. Because the campus is more like a community, you can make friends everywhere anyway, not only in your accommodation.

I have three Maths students in my flat and they are doing just fine, they are have a lot of fun and they enjoy their course. I don't think they get a bad rep at all, I haven't even thought about this before!

Good luck and don't hesitate to quote me if you have anything else to ask!

Elena

Edit: Sharing a bathroom isn't an issue at all, there is never a queue and the toilets and the showers are being cleaned weekly. We share two toilets and two showers between five people so that's fine.

Also, if you want to take the virtual tour for Norwood, go to the bottom of this page:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/norwood-house-student-accommodation/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SnoopBee
Hi, I just wanted to ask what Grades you got to get a place ??

Hey!

I didn't do A levels or IB so I don't know if my answer will help you in any way. Because I did the Romanian Baccalaureate, they requested 9/10 overall with 9.5 in a science and 9 in the other 2 subjects. I got 9.5 overall with 9.8 in a science.

I was really scared they wouldn't make me an offer if I didn't get the grades, but I met people who got lower grades and they were still accepted. So they won't just look at your academic results. I think your personal essay matters a lot and it's an important part of their decision.

Elena
Original post by imjohnjohn5678
Hi Elena,
I want to study this at bath, just wondering if you knew the applicants per place ratio... also, what a levels did you do??
Many thanks,
Max

Hey Max,

I wouldn't know how many applicants are per place as it must be different every single year, but it is quite competitive since University of Bath is ranked first for Marketing and second for Business Management, in the UK.

What I can tell you for sure is that we are 200 students from Management, International Management and Management with Marketing. We all study the same subjects in our first year.

For more useful information go on this page: Management with Marketing including a placement

I didn't do A levels so I can't answer that, but a lot of people in my course who did Business Studies or Economics found that to be really useful. If you click the link I provided you will see on the website that their preference for A level subjects include a combination of mathematics/sciences with arts/humanities.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to quote me! Good luck!

Elena
Reply 7
Hi elena!I just applied for this course and I am really excited for the placement. Do you know if there are any fashion related companies included in the program? Thank you in advance!
Original post by elli7!
Hi elena!I just applied for this course and I am really excited for the placement. Do you know if there are any fashion related companies included in the program? Thank you in advance!

Hey Elli!

I am really excited about the placement as well! Our university works with a variety of over 300 companies and many of those work exclusively with us. So I'm sure that the university must have at least a connection with a fashion related company. Even if they don't, it's your choice what company you want to apply to.

You can contact the school of management at:
General enquiries for applicants:
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 386742
Fax: +44 (0) 1225 386473
Email: [email protected]

Here you can have a look at more contacts: http://www.bath.ac.uk/management/abo...html#reception

They will surely be glad to help you with more information. Good luck!

Elena
Original post by University of Bath
Hey!

I'm Elena and I'm in my first year studying Management with Marketing. I thought I would make a thread for everyone who is interested in studying this subject at University of Bath. If you want to ask anything, feel free to quote me or send me a pm if that's easier for you.

My experience at Bath has been amazing so far and I'm more than happy to share my thoughts with all of you. It's such a great uni and there is a lot to discover about it, it totally exceeded my expectations.

My course also includes a 12 month placement in the 3rd year and I'm looking forward to that. I live in Norwood, which is the accommodation right above the SU, in campus. I have seen most of the other accommodations in campus as well so I can give you a lot of information about them as well.

Can't wait to talk to you all and good luck to everyone who is applying! :h:

Hi Elena! I'm hoping to do the exact same course as you're doing! I'd like to ask, did you have any relevant work experience when you applied to Bath? Also, what sort of GCSE grades do successful applicants have, do you know?

Many thanks
Original post by Mystelle
Hi Elena! I'm hoping to do the exact same course as you're doing! I'd like to ask, did you have any relevant work experience when you applied to Bath? Also, what sort of GCSE grades do successful applicants have, do you know?

Many thanks

Hey!

I've really enjoyed my course so far! I didn't have any work experience, only volunteering and some courses over the summer that were related to law, not even management. I was involved in the student council and I was also doing dances and volleyball. It matters a lot how you write about yourself in the personal statement, work experience isn't necessary.

I wouldn't know, nobody really mentions their GCSE grades, but to be honest I met a lot of people with a variety of grades in A levels so even though some haven't met the requests, they must have had something else that convinced Bath.

I wish you good luck!

Elena

Quick Reply

Latest