The Student Room Group

Vet Medicine for Mature Students

I’m really interested in becoming a vet and looking for some advice/solutions for the journey ahead.

I’m currently 24 and in my 3rd year of studying highers (Scottish). My first year, I only studied one higher as I was working full time. On my second year I reduced my working hours from 40+ hours a week to 30, which allowed me to study more in one sitting. This year is similar.

I’ve been in contact with both Scottish universities which offer vet med but it doesn’t really look like my qualifications will be suitable. One said all highers need to be done in one sitting whilst the other said they did sort of adjust the entry requirements for mature students but not really, if that makes sense? They kind of hinted I had next to no chance😂.

What is stopping me is the fact I’ve had to do my highers over a few years, although I see this as the ONLY option for mature students who have work, let alone family commitments. Universities also require 2 advanced highers. It is very difficult to come by a college which will teach these qualifications. I managed to get advanced higher history but that was only because my lecturer was really keen on teaching it.

I also don’t have chemistry, I’ll need to go to a different college next year for it as the one I’m attending doesn’t offer it.

Basically, I’m looking for someone who has been through a similar situation to mine and find out how they managed to clear these hurdles. I know universities accept mature students, so there must be a way.. somehow😂.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hello,

Scottish mature student here.
You need to complete a one year access course.
I am now at Glasgow University off the back of the SWAP Access to Medicine Course.
Check it out.
It gives you everything in one sitting that is required to get into Vet Med.
Warning though, it is extremely intensive and dare I say it, 1st year uni is so far feeling a less stressful ( Although of course it still is)
You need to perform passing your modules at 80% for every exam or you will not meet the conditions for Glasgow - this includes English and Maths. The science jump up to SCQF Level 8 and you are always required to submit a large paper that you work on last half of the year.

Working during it is possible but not advised at full time hours. There are bursarys available which will help with costs of living.
Reply 2
Also when it comes to study in Vet Med I would personally advise not working at all when you get to Uni.
You also won't be able to work much over summer and holidays because you will be cramming in some EMS.
I think the uni personally says if you are to work at all, 8 hours a week max.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending