What would an interest rate hike mean for commercial law firms? Watch

cv2121
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
A potential commercial awareness question, any ideas?
montyr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What do you think, logically? Break it down by what would happen to exchange rates, etc. And then think about how that might impact on clients and their decisions...
hendyrix
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Here's an economic perspective

increased interest rates usually mean a few main things...

Lower economic growth
Increase in the cost of borrowing.
Increase in mortgage interest payments.
Increased incentive to save rather than spend.
Reduced confidence. -(People are disincentivized to make risky investments and purchases that may not be essential.)

I would interpret this logically and relate it to law firms but one starting point might be that UK exports may be less competitive and exports will be cheaper, so firms may gain legal aid from abroad. However, IMO this is unlikely because with current account deficit that the UK has with the services industry (such as finance and law) being our biggest export.

But pretty much relate these effects on commercial law and make judgments on how likely they are to take place

Good luck
montyr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
UK exports will be less competitive because of the impact of interest rates on exchange rates, increased interest rate essentially means increased return on holding £s, which means increased demand for £s and strengthens the currency. Hence our exports become relatively more expensive, but imports relatively cheaper.

But yeah...think about how those economic effects might impact law firms...what does a stronger pound mean? It might make legal services more expensive for businesses who trade in other currencies, for example.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (884)
90.76%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (90)
9.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed