Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Integrate x/x-2 in the range from 3 to 4.
    So far I've only been taught how to integrate via substation so I thought u = x-2 and tried doing the usual but it doesn't seem to work out. Is there an alternative method?
    • Study Helper

(Original post by MrToodles4)
    So far I've only been taught how to integrate via substation so I thought u = x-2 and tried doing the usual but it doesn't seem to work out. Is there an alternative method?
    The substitution should work - post your working, and someone can check it out.

Alternatively, you can just perform the polynomial/synthetic division, if you've covered it (don't know what module that is), and then integrate.

ReputationRep:
    You could also write the fraction x/(x-2) as 1 + 2/(x-2). If you subtract 2 and then add 2 to the numerator it might be easier to see why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akaash13)
    You could also write the fraction x/(x-2) as 1 + 2/(x-2). If you subtract 2 and then add 2 to the numerator it might be easier to see why.
    How did you get this?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you post your working out or what you have been doing, we can see where the confusion is and can then help you.

ReputationRep:
    How did you get this?
    x/{x - 2} is the same as {x - 2 + 2}/{x - 2}

ReputationRep:
    How did you get this?

Left out the dx because there was not enough space. :/
    The u-substitution should also work. Just remember to change the limits and you should get (u+2)/u = 1 + 2/u.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    The substitution should work - post your working, and someone can check it out.

Alternatively, you can just perform the polynomial/synthetic division, if you've covered it (don't know what module that is), and then integrate.
    So I wrote out the equation as x(x-2)^-1. And let u=x-2. Therefore du/dx = 1. dx/du = 1.

so x*u^-1. to get x in terms of u i did u+2=x
    So (u+2)*u^-1. I multiplied out the bracket to get 1+2u^-1.
    If this is integrated this is the same as u+2lnu. And then I put in the new ranges from intergral u=1 and u= 2. (originally x=3 and x=4) so 2+2ln2 - 1+2ln1 however this does not give me the correct answer of 1+2ln2. Does the 1 not need to be integrated into u? is that the mistake Im making here?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    So I wrote out the equation as x(x-2)^-1. And let u=x-2. Therefore du/dx = 1. dx/du = 1.

If this is integrated this is the same as u+2lnu. And then I put in the new ranges from intergral u=1 and u= 2. (originally x=3 and x=4) so 2+2ln2 - 1+2ln1 however this does not give me the correct answer of 1+2ln2. Does the 1 not need to be integrated into u? is that the mistake Im making here?
    2+2ln2 - 1+2ln1

1+2ln2

These are the same thing since ln(1) = 0.

For future questions please post all your working at the start so that we know where you're stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Note: (a+b) - (c+d) = a + b - c - d, (note the bold emphasis).

ReputationRep:

let u = x-2 , x = u +2
    du/dx = 1
    dx=du
    then
    (U+2)/U Du
    = U/2 + 2/U
    =2u^-1 + 2lnU
    solve from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    2+2ln2 - 1+2ln1

1+2ln2

These are the same thing since ln(1) = 0.

For future questions please post all your working at the start so that we know where you're stuck.
    Oh, I see. Thank you very much . There is one other question which was similar:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon0)
    Note: (a+b) - (c+d) = a + b - c - d, (note the bold emphasis).
    What bold emphasis?

ReputationRep:
    What bold emphasis?
    Sorry, it is the last minus sign.

What you have done looks fine except for the final part but it is fine in this case since ln(1)=0.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.