Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I was just wondering how everyone thought the ELAT went today. I applied for Classics and English at Oxford so I did the ELAT and the CAT. I thought the topic was alright and I wrote fairly okay, but some of the extracts were hard. [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] - how did you find it? Good luck to everyoneeee!!

Mod edit:

IMPORTANT: Test-takers should not post test questions or discuss answers, or post the test paper(s). These restrictions will extend to discussions about exams' tested content, specific questions or question numbers and provisional test answers or mark schemes.

This, however, does not mean all discussion about these exams will be restricted: it's okay to talk about having just sat the test, or whether or not you found it difficult. What is not okay is giving away any information that might cause one student to have an unfair advantage over another.

See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4934792

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immyosborn)
    Hey everyone! I was just wondering how everyone thought the ELAT went today. I applied for Classics and English at Oxford so I did the ELAT and the CAT. I thought the topic was alright and I wrote fairly okay, but some of the extracts were hard. What did everyone choose & how did you find it? Good luck to everyoneeee!!

Which extracts did you choose? I did both the poems and found it okayy but [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] :/ Good luck with your application(:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bernard(:)
    Which extracts did you choose? I did both the poems [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] and found it okayy but analysed [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] :/ Good luck with your application(:
    [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] I think it went okay, but reeeallyyyy tight on time!
    Do you think you did well? I'm sure you smashed it.

Good luck with your application too!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    I think it went okay, but reeeallyyyy tight on time!
    Do you think you did well? I'm sure you smashed it.

Good luck with your application too!
    Remember the rules of discussion of these tests please:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4934792

ReputationRep:
    I did [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] I actually thought it went pretty well and stuck to my structure for the first time in an ELAT under timed conditions! [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] I think it went well but you never know if you fell into a delusional trance and accidentally just wrote discombobulation over and over again for an hour and a half.

ReputationRep:
    [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions]

ReputationRep:
    I did the first two and I was so happy as I had some great close analysis points
    Then I left the exam and realised I'd been referring to one of the characters in the short story by the wrong name throughout my essay, instinctively referring to them by the name given in the title
    So I've mucked everything up in a really stupid mistake... :/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hey everyone!
    (Original post by bernard(:)
    xxx
    xxx
    (Original post by bbgrey48)
    xxx
    (Original post by leah_burns)
    xxx
    Please do not discuss specific questions - it can benefit others and disadvantage you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Remember the rules of discussion of these tests please:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4934792
    Some people haven't taken the test yet so don't give anything away.....
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tudie)
    Some people haven't taken the test yet so don't give anything away.....
    That's why I posted

ReputationRep:
    My answer was really short, like 750 words. Just 2 main body paragraphs. But I kept reasserting my focus ( though I can't remember what happened at the end of my second paragraph tbh. Was too busy rushing a conclusion. I did c and d.

All in all, I loathed the theme more than any other that has ever been in the ELAT, but some parts of my answer were still okay so fingers crossed I get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedboutlife)
    My answer was really short, like 750 words. Just 2 main body paragraphs. But I kept reasserting my focus ( though I can't remember what happened at the end of my second paragraph tbh. Was too busy rushing a conclusion. I did c and d.

All in all, I loathed the theme more than any other that has ever been in the ELAT, but some parts of my answer were still okay so fingers crossed I get an interview.
    Hey! My answer was also only 2 main body paras, but I think if you put a good amount of detail in then you will do fine. I did (a) and (d) but I thought the overall theme was not the easiest to write about. Not as nice as past paper questions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmzLordy)
    Hey! My answer was also only 2 main body paras, but I think if you put a good amount of detail in then you will do fine. I did (a) and (d) but I thought the overall theme was not the easiest to write about. Not as nice as past paper questions...
    I literally went home and wrote a list of amazing themes it could have been... Queens, Night, Flowers, History, Masks, Light, The Body, Animals ,Colour, tbh it could even have been the city of Oxford!

All interesting themes. But the theme in the ELAT paper, I felt it was random tbh. That just goes to show anything can be a theme! One year it could be on soap,,. I was hoping the exam would be more exciting, but I imagine some may have liked the theme! Still feels like a bit of a waste...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedboutlife)
    I literally went home and wrote a list of amazing themes it could have been... Queens, Night, Flowers, History, Masks, Light, The Body, Animals ,Colour, tbh it could even have been the city of Oxford!

All interesting themes. But the theme in the ELAT paper, I felt it was random tbh. That just goes to show anything can be a theme! One year it could be on soap,,. I was hoping the exam would be more exciting, but I imagine some may have liked the theme! Still feels like a bit of a waste...
    agreed! Did not feel like I could get that many interesting points out of it. Hopefully my literary points will be good enough as they won't be amazed by my imagination!!

ReputationRep:
    agreed! Did not feel like I could get that many interesting points out of it. Hopefully my literary points will be good enough as they won't be amazed by my imagination!!
    Yeah, the test is mainly about close reading, frequent comparison and contrast, and a tight structure that reasserts the focus all the time. They do not judge you on the complexity of your focus, more it's clarity and accuracy I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    I think it went alright, I'm applying English at Cambridge, as a foreigner, and the texts were quite interesting. We'll see what happens over the next months. Hope everyone did well~~

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah for sure. I came out thinking I had been so originally and my friend literally said she did the same as me:thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccabokka)
    Oh yeah for sure. I came out thinking I had been so originally and my friend literally said she did the same as me:thumbsup:
    Could mean you both came up with brilliant points tho!!!! What college are you applying to??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccabokka)
    They don't mark it like that! Exams always seem worse after you leave and get worse and worse in your mind till results day.

I just realised I wrote internal rhyme for prose -_-

ReputationRep:
    Did your essay have to be about the theme that was given or could you have written about the extracts in anyway you wanted to - i.e. based it upon a different theme you thought was more fruitful writing about?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.