Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Contracted hours. What does this mean? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There is a table on the board at work about contracted hours and your break allowance. But there is a debate at the moment about who can have what break.

It goes roughly as follows:
    Less than 4 hours contracted: Nil break
    4 or more hours contracted: Paid - 15mins / Unpaid - Nil
    6 or more hours contracted: Paid - 15mins / Unpaid - 30mins
    8 or more hours contracted: Paid - x2 15mins / Unpaid - 1 hour.

So if I have 8 hours written on my Rota does that I'm entitled to x2 15mins AND an hour or do I get one OR the other?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you get both. At my first job I got a 15 minute break in the morning, 1 hour for lunch and 15 minutes in the afternoon. But you should double check with your boss.

ReputationRep:
    My boss is the one confusing things and he knows no better either as he is new and had to ask other shop floor colleagues about. He was saying I have to ACTUALLY work 8 hours to get an hour break which means it would be 9 hours on my rota. But the table for break times doesn't say 8 or more working hours, it says contracted hours which sounds more to me like if my Rota says 8 or more hours then I qualify for those breaks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toni Roxxii)
    My boss is the one confusing things and he knows no better either as he is new and had to ask other shop floor colleagues about. He was saying I have to ACTUALLY work 8 hours to get an hour break which means it would be 9 hours on my rota. But the table for break times doesn't say 8 or more working hours, it says contracted hours which sounds more to me like if my Rota says 8 or more hours then I qualify for those breaks?
    Sounds like you need to ask HR or whoever counter-signed your contract since your boss doesn't know. However I would say he is probably right about HAVING to work 8 hours - for example at my job I go in from 9-5:30 and take an hour break for lunch, I'm therefore paid for 7.5 hours but usually there for 8.5. So if you're contracted 8 hours, that's 8 hours paid work - I'd imagine your two 15 min breaks are included in this (so you're actually WORKING 7.5 hours) but that your unpaid hour is in addition to that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.