Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Questions

1)An astronomer wishes to resolve a binary star with a separation of 0.8arcseconsa using a filter at 500nm. Ignoring the effects of the atmosphere, what is the minimum size of the telescope needed to resolve the binary? (base your answer on the size of the airy disk)
    : using raleighs criterion i got this to be 0.157 metres in diameter, though i can't tell what it means to base my answer on the size of the Airy disk?
    2) The seeing is typically measured to be FWHM - 0.7arcsec at wavelength 2.2um (i.e in the near infrared) at the site which the telescope is located. Will the astronomer be able to resolve the binary star in an observation at 500nm with a telescope 1 metre from the site?
    : this is where i get really stuck, I'm not really sure how to include FWHM in my calculation and i can't find many resources to help
    3) the same astronomer would like to observe the pleiades star cluster with the 1 metre telescope from part 2. Plaiedes subtends 2 degrees on the sky. A camera that contains CCDS that cover a square 10x10cm area of the focal plane at the f/2 prime focus of this telescope is available. Can the astronomer fit Pleiades within a single observation with this camera?

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated. I asked my tutor however he's not an astrophysicist so didn't really know where to start. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.