Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been to the open day at Northumbria and noticed they had removed the journalism course. It used to be accredited by the BJTC but Northumbria have now suspiciously removed the course and created new courses 'English literature and journalism' and 'media and journalism' neither of which are accredited.
    I really loved Northumbria and the city its just such a shame the courses aren't accredited. Can any current Northumbria journalism students help me out?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leila1997)
    Been to the open day at Northumbria and noticed they had removed the journalism course. It used to be accredited by the BJTC but Northumbria have now suspiciously removed the course and created new courses 'English literature and journalism' and 'media and journalism' neither of which are accredited.
    I really loved Northumbria and the city its just such a shame the courses aren't accredited. Can any current Northumbria journalism students help me out?
    Thanks
    Are you sure that Journalism isn't running any more? The course is still being advertised for 2018 entry on their website https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-...hons-uufjou1/#

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone K)
    Are you sure that Journalism isn't running any more? The course is still being advertised for 2018 entry on their website https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-...hons-uufjou1/#
    Yeah, the course leader said they still have it up but apparently the industry is ‘changing’ and they have brought out the other two courses instead.
    Seems strange and its as if they want to remove it because the BJTC have removed their accreditation.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know too. What are they doing to make up for lack of accreditation? I wanted tp do this course but now im not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagashi)
    I would like to know too. What are they doing to make up for lack of accreditation? I wanted tp do this course but now im not sure.
    I’m glad someone else has noticed! I visited both LJMU and Northumbria, noticed the facilities at LJMU are better however much preferred Northumbria campus. I’ve been on the BJTC website and they still have Northumbria Univeristy listed as an accredited course, however I emailed Northumbria and they confirmed all 3 of the journalism courses are not accredited anymore.
    Its such a shame..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leila1997)
    I’m glad someone else has noticed! I visited both LJMU and Northumbria, noticed the facilities at LJMU are better however much preferred Northumbria campus. I’ve been on the BJTC website and they still have Northumbria Univeristy listed as an accredited course, however I emailed Northumbria and they confirmed all 3 of the journalism courses are not accredited anymore.
    Its such a shame..
    I see. I was impressed with Northumbria's campus and Newcastle is a great city (biased as I'm a geordie), but the lack of accreditation puts me off! Particularly when they only removed it recently. I'm going to be visiting Sunderland uni as their journalism department is supposed to be decent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.