Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fluoxetine Watch

Announcements

Hi, I've been on this for about two weeks and I see no improvement, my mood is up and down. does anyone have experience with this drug?

ReputationRep:
    Fluoxetine is one of the most commonly prescribed antidepressants, I'm assuming you're taking 20mg each day?
    It can often take a longer than 2 weeks for the drugs to start to make a difference, keep going with them for a while longer and if they're still not working then go back to your Dr and have them change it. If you go back to them now they'll probably give you the same advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    stop taking it and control yourself
    Great words from the famed psychiatrist. If only we have you working here in our hospital... "control yourself" fgs

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I've been on this for about two weeks and I see no improvement, my mood is up and down. does anyone have experience with this drug?
    Sorry to hear that. Fluoxetine can take upto 6-8 weeks to work, but its side effects comes 1-2 weeks after starting it. In fact most anti-depressants takes a few weeks to work and (as far as I know) none works immediately.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    stop taking it and control yourself
    Please do not post dangerous "advice" such as this. It is irresponsible to tell a person to stop taking a drug that has been prescribed to them by their doctor, regardless of your feelings towards antidepressants.

(Original post by ecolier)
    Great words from the famed psychiatrist. If only we have you working here in our hospital... "control yourself" fgs

Sorry to hear that. Fluoxetine can take upto 6-8 weeks to work, but its side effects comes 1-2 weeks after starting it. In fact most anti-depressants takes a few weeks to work and (as far as I know) none works immediately.
    Thank you, ignore that stupid troll I have already reported that idiot. have you used fluoxetine yourself, I'm getting along of dizzy which was not a symptom before.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, ignore that stupid troll I have already reported that idiot. have you used fluoxetine yourself, I'm getting along of dizzy which was not a symptom before.
    Dizziness is a possible side effect of fluoxetine but should hopefully wear off in time as your body gets used to it.

ReputationRep:
    No sorry I am a doc who (rarely now) prescribed fluoxetine. Obviously it is not a good idea to diagnose online but dizziness (light-headedness) could be a side effect, while severe light-headedness will require urgent attention as it could mean a very serious side effect (Serotonin syndrome). It's best to let the doc who prescribed it for you know about these symptoms, to be on the safe side.

However, the main thing to note is that these tablets will take a few weeks to work (unfortunately), so it is important to know that the mood problems are not going to go immediately.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Dizziness is a possible side effect of fluoxetine but should hopefully wear off in time as your body gets used to it.
    I'm worried it's not going to work, have you taken this drug?

No sorry I am a doc who (rarely now) prescribed fluoxetine. Obviously it is not a good idea to diagnose online but dizziness (light-headedness) could be a side effect, while severe light-headedness will require urgent attention as it could mean a very serious side effect (Serotonin syndrome). It's best to let the doc who prescribed it for you know about these symptoms, to be on the safe side.

However, the main thing to note is that these tablets will take a few weeks to work (unfortunately), so it is important to know that the mood problems are not going to go immediately.
    I seriously doubt I have serotonin syndrome as I am taking less of the dose recommend by the doctor 15mg, doctor wants me to take 20mg, and why do you rarely prescribe this drug?

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt I have serotonin syndrome as I am taking less of the dose recommend by the doctor 15mg, doctor wants me to take 20mg, and why do you rarely prescribe this drug?
    I'm not in the specialty. When I did GP I was prescribing it a lot more, but I do see patients on it though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried it's not going to work, have you taken this drug?
    I have yes. However, I had a very bad reaction to fluoxetine and had to quit taking it after 4 days but on other SSRIs (the class of which fluoxetine is a member) I got headaches, nausea, dizziness, and vivid dreams all of which faded as my body got used to the drug. I currently take a different antidepressant and no longer have any depressive symptoms. My mood is pretty great generally. They work differently for different people; a drug that works for one person may not work for another. As ecolier said, these meds take a while to kick in so try not to stress about it just yet - take care of yourself and tell your doctor about the side effects but, tbh from my experience, I'd say just to wait and see what happens.

I'm not in the specialty. When I did GP I was prescribing it a lot more, but I do see patients on it though.
    What's the success rate of the patients who do well on this drug, to the ones have prescribed it too?

ReputationRep:
    What's the success rate of the patients who do well on this drug, to the ones have prescribed it too?
    Woah I can't say... as I'm sure you know depression is not a "treated and that's it" condition. There's short-term, medium-term and long-term. I really can't tell. Plus I only did GP for 4 months in FY2 :P

Have you tried asking the GP who prescribed it? Or even better if you can be referred / ask the psychiatrists?

The things is, I could say a figure, and it wouldn't apply to you because the population wide figures are there to help us prescribe and is not intended for individual patients. A drug could work 99% of the time, but for the 1% of the patients it wouldn't be any consolation for them that it works so well for others.

I have yes. However, I had a very bad reaction to fluoxetine and had to quit taking it after 4 days but on other SSRIs (the class of which fluoxetine is a member) I got headaches, nausea, dizziness, and vivid dreams all of which faded as my body got used to the drug. I currently take a different antidepressant and no longer have any depressive symptoms. My mood is pretty great generally. They work differently for different people; a drug that works for one person may not work for another. As ecolier said, these meds take a while to kick in so try not to stress about it just yet - take care of yourself and tell your doctor about the side effects but, tbh from my experience, I'd say just to wait and see what happens.
    What one are you on now? what was your dose starting fluoxetine? did you have allergic reaction?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What one are you on now? what was your dose starting fluoxetine? did you have allergic reaction?
    It was a while back but I'm fairly sure it was just the 20mg starting dose. I got really bad flu-like symptoms, it wasn't an allergic reaction but I felt like I was going to die:

Spoiler:
    Show
    a few hours after taking the first pill I started to feel acutely unwell, like I had the flu. Over the next 3 days this got worse and worse. I was absolutely freezing. I had a fur hat on, gloves, scarf, several tops, hoodies, coat, loads of socks, my winter boots and 3 pairs of sweat pants, I also had my little fan heater on full in my room, I was still frozen. I had the worst headache, I could barely see I was in agony and all my muscles hurt so I couldn't really move to get up out of bed. My ears hurt a lot, my eyeballs hurt, everything hurt. I thought I had meningitis and was going to die. I kept taking the fluoxetine not making the connection, after 4 pills I decided that it was too much of a coincidence so I didn't take any more, started to feel better the next day. but **** me it was awful. My GP told me I did the right thing stopping the drug and that it sounded like a rare reaction to it. I really thought I was dying.

So yeah, you get dizziness, I felt like I was dying Different effects on different people.

PM me and I'll tell you what I currently take, but I'd prefer not to say on the forum.

It was a while back but I'm fairly sure it was just the 20mg starting dose. I got really bad flu-like symptoms, it wasn't an allergic reaction but I felt like I was going to die:

Spoiler:
    Show
    a few hours after taking the first pill I started to feel acutely unwell, like I had the flu. Over the next 3 days this got worse and worse. I was absolutely freezing. I had a fur hat on, gloves, scarf, several tops, hoodies, coat, loads of socks, my winter boots and 3 pairs of sweat pants, I also had my little fan heater on full in my room, I was still frozen. I had the worst headache, I could barely see I was in agony and all my muscles hurt so I couldn't really move to get up out of bed. My ears hurt a lot, my eyeballs hurt, everything hurt. I thought I had meningitis and was going to die. I kept taking the fluoxetine not making the connection, after 4 pills I decided that it was too much of a coincidence so I didn't take any more, started to feel better the next day. but **** me it was awful. My GP told me I did the right thing stopping the drug and that it sounded like a rare reaction to it. I really thought I was dying.

So yeah, you get dizziness, I felt like I was dying Different effects on different people.

PM me and I'll tell you what I currently take, but I'd prefer not to say on the forum.
    Sent you a pm

(Original post by georgem93)
    Fluoxetine is one of the most commonly prescribed antidepressants, I'm assuming you're taking 20mg each day?
    It can often take a longer than 2 weeks for the drugs to start to make a difference, keep going with them for a while longer and if they're still not working then go back to your Dr and have them change it. If you go back to them now they'll probably give you the same advice.
    Have you taken this?

ReputationRep:
    I've been taking 30mg for over a year now and it doesn't solve the problem, however, I do think it gave me the energy to try some of the techniques my psych was suggesting. Motivation is key and it's also a massive problem for people that are suffering, so stick it out and try to remember why you want to get better (people you love, aspirations, dogs, etc.) Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Have you taken this?
    No, I’ve worked in pharmacy for 6 years.

(Original post by georgem93)
    No, I’ve worked in pharmacy for 6 years.
    Does it work for majority of people?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.