Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently I am year 11 student and I have to choose my A levels in the next couple of weeks but this is only provisional.
    I am really considering, and is currently my most preferred option, of going on to study economics at a top university. I have already decided that I am going to do maths, further maths and history. However, I need to do one other and I cannot decide between economics, chemistry, biology or Spanish. I thought that if I did economics it would look good if applying to a university to study economics. But, economics is not a oscillating subject and could be considered less. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and what do they think would be a good choice of subjects?

ReputationRep:
    You are correct in thinking that Economics is not a facilitating subject, but if you are set on studying Economics at University, then it would be by far the most beneficial.
    If you were to take Economics, you would have a really strong set of subjects along with Maths, F. Maths and History, but if it was available and you didn't pick it then you may be asked why.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice OrangeSaber

ReputationRep:
    The typical A levels for economics are Maths, Economics, History and ideally Further Maths. Econ A level definitely helps once you get to uni.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Economics is the most relevant subject, and contrary to many of the idiotic claims you see on the internet that it's "not preferred", you can clearly see by going into any university entry criteria, referring to any published lists of preferred A-levels, or looking at any of the Freedom of Information Act requests regarding admissions for Economics at "top" universities including LSE and Oxbridge - it's extremely common and more successful applicants have it than don't.

While not required, if you must take another choice there is absolutely no reason to take another subject you are less interested in to try and look better. This will only achieve the same thing or backfire by getting worse grades due to having less motivation in that subject. It will not gain you any additional consideration or kudos otherwise.

So, if you're very invested in Economics as a choice, take Economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.