Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

59 years old. Should I do an LPC if I have no training contract Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I am a final year law student. I didnt realise when Ibegan that my age would be a real barrier to a second career in law. I'm coming from retail management.

My department are saying that taking an LPCis a big gamble as I don't have a training contact and won't get one at my age.

If I don't, where do I go next?

Would welcome your thoughts and experiences x

ReputationRep:
    How did you get a law degree at your age (not to be rude) my mum is 47 and she has been applying for a long time and hasn't got the degree I am extremely sorry if I come out as being rude but I'm just curious
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, no worries at all, that is what most people think.

I am in my final year. I did my A levels aged 32 but started caring for my parents and daughter after that, so didnt apply until I was 47. My daughter fell ill again and I applied again aged 57and was successful.

Do tell your Mum to look st the Cilex route. It's much better once you are over a certain age. It's slower but gives you an assured result in becoming a solicitor. You are working at the same time as slowly qualifying. It is the best option and I wish I had chosen that route.

Do wish her well for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magimoosh)
    Hi Guys

I am a final year law student. I didnt realise when Ibegan that my age would be a real barrier to a second career in law. I'm coming from retail management.

My department are saying that taking an LPCis a big gamble as I don't have a training contact and won't get one at my age.

If I don't, where do I go next?

Would welcome your thoughts and experiences x
    Unfortunately, your department is probably right on this - though it's a shame they weren't as frank with you three years ago. As you can't get your practising certificate without having done a period of training with a firm, and it is indeed unlikely that you will be able to persuade a firm to take you on and pay you during that period, the LPC would be an expensive gamble. This isn't just an age thing - there is a national shortage of training places that is affecting all graduates looking to qualify as solicitors.

You could investigate large organisations - public and private sector - that have their own in-house legal departments, and see whether there might be any opportunities there that wouldn't require you to take the LPC etc. Otherwise, look for jobs where being a graduate is essential, possibly even in the sector you've come from - this isn't a backward step as you have significantly enhanced what you can offer any organisation, by taking your degree, and you have the benefit of your life experience and all the rest of it to add to the mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magimoosh)
    Hi, no worries at all, that is what most people think.

I am in my final year. I did my A levels aged 32 but started caring for my parents and daughter after that, so didnt apply until I was 47. My daughter fell ill again and I applied again aged 57and was successful.

Do tell your Mum to look st the Cilex route. It's much better once you are over a certain age. It's slower but gives you an assured result in becoming a solicitor. You are working at the same time as slowly qualifying. It is the best option and I wish I had chosen that route.

Do wish her well for me
    Thankyou and I'm sorry I couldn't help you with your questions,
    Good luck in the future
    Xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.