Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How difficult would Russian A Level be for someone who's forgotten the language>> Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 11 and do French and German for iGCSE at school (among other subjects). I would have loved to do Russian because I am half-Russian (have been to Russia many times too), but my school doesn’t teach it, and I'd probably need lessons because I never learnt to write, and can only just read it. My speaking and grammar is very dodgy now, too, because although it was my first language, I stopped using it as much when I started school (I don’t live in Russia). But I hardly have an accent which is a plus.

Next year, in my first year of sixth form, I will be able to take the Russian iGCSE (yes, I want iGCSE) exam, but will have to do a bit of self-study especially of the grammar, to bring my Russian back. Of course this would be alongside my A Levels (French, German, Drama) - but, the real question is - how do-able would self-studying Russian A Level be? How much of it is language and how much is context, history and culture? How stressful would I find it?

Many thanks x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.