Turn on thread page Beta

How difficult would Russian A Level be for someone who's forgotten the language>> watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 11 and do French and German for iGCSE at school (among other subjects). I would have loved to do Russian because I am half-Russian (have been to Russia many times too), but my school doesn’t teach it, and I'd probably need lessons because I never learnt to write, and can only just read it. My speaking and grammar is very dodgy now, too, because although it was my first language, I stopped using it as much when I started school (I don’t live in Russia). But I hardly have an accent which is a plus.

Next year, in my first year of sixth form, I will be able to take the Russian iGCSE (yes, I want iGCSE) exam, but will have to do a bit of self-study especially of the grammar, to bring my Russian back. Of course this would be alongside my A Levels (French, German, Drama) - but, the real question is - how do-able would self-studying Russian A Level be? How much of it is language and how much is context, history and culture? How stressful would I find it?

Many thanks x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2017

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.