Geography or Geology A Level?

Watch this thread
jade0106
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I’ve been doing geography a level for half a term now and I’m not sure it’s right for me... I loved GCSE geography but now I’m finding that I’m more interested in the science behind it which I’m guessing is what geology’s about. I do like a level geography I’m just worried that I made the wrong decision. I also really don’t want to mess up my timetable and get new teachers because I’m really happy with all my other classes especially biology and chemistry which are the most important to me. What should I do?
geemason_
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I’d stick with geography! I’m not sure about new spec geology, but the old spec wasn’t massively scientific. It (obviously) focused very specifically on the geological aspect of the Earth - the lithosphere, the layers of the earth, fossils etc
It really just depends what type of ‘scientific’ geography you like. I’m really interested in climatology, which is, admittedly briefly, covered in the A Level geography spec.
Hope that helps!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jade0106)
I’ve been doing geography a level for half a term now and I’m not sure it’s right for me... I loved GCSE geography but now I’m finding that I’m more interested in the science behind it which I’m guessing is what geology’s about. I do like a level geography I’m just worried that I made the wrong decision. I also really don’t want to mess up my timetable and get new teachers because I’m really happy with all my other classes especially biology and chemistry which are the most important to me. What should I do?
Which aspects of geography do you like most? Geology is very much focused on the materials and processes going on below the surface, unlike geography. If you're interested in topics such as rocks (this is important! ), minerals and fossils, processes like plate tectonics, volcanoes and earthquakes, oil and gas, metals, and other resources, then geology could suit you. A big difference between the two subjects is that there are no human-related topics in geology (e.g. globalisation, migration etc), like you get with geography, so if you dislike those then geology might be the better choice. Overall, there is some overlap between geography and geology, but I would definitely have a close look at the content for both courses before you make a decision

Another point to consider is the exam style for both - geography is essay-based, whereas geology exams tend to have a combination of short-answer questions and longer answer ones, which might appeal to you more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads