The Student Room Group

English Language-HELP

I'm currently studying for my GCSEs.I am struggling with my English Lamguage papers particularly answering Language and Structure questions.How can improve on that field and try to get full marks.
Original post by SamiraLorenzo
I'm currently studying for my GCSEs.I am struggling with my English Lamguage papers particularly answering Language and Structure questions.How can improve on that field and try to get full marks.

is this the AQA course?
i’m in year 10 and just did a mock paper 1 and got full marks on the language question so i can definitely help out if it’s AQA!! :smile:
but don’t worry about revising too much for english language - you just need a bit of advice i think :wink:
Reply 2
For both the language bits I made up an acronym to remember them and then learnt what each meant and our wonderful teacher did the same for the structure.

Language devices - acronym = CHINA SHRIMP MASH CORN

Cliche, Homonym, Imperative verb, Noun phrase, Alliteration, Synonyms, Hyperbole, Repetition, Irony, Metaphor, Personification, Mnemonic, Assonance, Simile, Homophone, Colloquial Language, Onomatopoeia, Rhetorical Question, Neologism, Pathetic Fallacy, Oxymoron and Emotive language

The other by my teacher - ROW OF CLONES

Repetition, Opening, Where, of, Characters, Links, Order of events, Narrative Voice, Ending, Sentences.

You need to be able to pick them out of the text and know why they are used by the writer. Another good one to know is Discourse Markers - these are the words you start a sentence with, and you get extra marks for using different ones.

Mr Bruff on You Tube is a great source for the English Language papers.
I have jut re done my English language. For the structure question we used SMORN
Sequence through a passage
Movement from big to small
Outside to inside
Repetition, treads an motives
Narrative perspective.

For the language question we had to find 3 key words say what type of words they are and state the meanings and impacts on the reader. Do the same with language devices. Make sure to quote them!!! Forget about the 3rd bullet point about sentence forms they only put that in to get the question approved!!

That if it is for AQA!!

I'm doing my GCSE's too pm if you like :smile: I can hopefully try to help you out with English Lang!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by clouddbubbles
is this the AQA course?
i’m in year 10 and just did a mock paper 1 and got full marks on the language question so i can definitely help out if it’s AQA!! :smile:
but don’t worry about revising too much for english language - you just need a bit of advice i think :wink:

Yep it's the AQA 9-1 paper,what advice can you give I did a past paper for language in class and I got 7/25-a level 3+ and my target for yr11 is a 7.What advice could you give me to get try and get a 6 by January??
Yep it's the AQA 9-1 paper,what advice can you give I did a past paper for language in class and I got 7/25-a level 3+ and my target for yr11 is a 7.What advice could you give me to get try and get a 6 by January??

firstly you need to know a load of lingual and structural techniques so that you have lots to pick from in the exam, also make sure you practice a few questions and mark them based on the mark scheme, so you know what to include...

i don’t really revise much for it but in order to improve i would say it’s all about practicing but there’s no point making revision materials for something like english :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending