Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am doing Level 3 BTEC computing (60credit) the school told me it equal to 2 a level, but i do not understand the structure of the course, can someone explain to me please?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Master_X_142000)
    i am doing Level 3 BTEC computing (60credit) the school told me it equal to 2 a level, but i do not understand the structure of the course, can someone explain to me please?

I always get confused with which qualification is worth what.

Name:  btec equivalent to.PNG
Views: 13
Size:  30.0 KB

60 credit does not sound enough for 2 A levels nut these are the way they are ranked in the pic.

Select which one it is and download the specification from here which will show you whats covered on the course.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...016.html#tab-1

ReputationRep:
    Name:  unit.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  112.8 KB

can someone explain what this means, my teaching told me i am doing 60 credit this year and another 60 next year to get a (equivalent of 2 a level)

ReputationRep:
    60 credits = BTEC Subsidiary / Ext.Cert = 1 A level

So I assume you you'll be doing the BTEC Diploma (120 credits) with 60 credits in each of the 2 years = 2 A levels

You obtain these credits by completing units and each unit has a credit value which is usually 10 or sometimes 15 or 20.

Each unit you complete you will get a grade for: Pass, Merit or Distinction. These grades each hold their own value too P=7, M=8 and D=9, the grade value get multiplied with the credit value, e.g. a 10 credit unit at Merit = 80.
    And then all 120 credits get totalled up to produce your final grade.

In regards to the table you posted, you need to select options and if you want to take a certain pathway then you need to select particular modules for that pathway. If you are just doing the standard course then look at the Diploma column and see which are mandatory and which are optional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    60 credits = BTEC Subsidiary / Ext.Cert = 1 A level

So I assume you you'll be doing the BTEC Diploma (120 credits) with 60 credits in each of the 2 years = 2 A levels

You obtain these credits by completing units and each unit has a credit value which is usually 10 or sometimes 15 or 20.

Each unit you complete you will get a grade for: Pass, Merit or Distinction. These grades each hold their own value too P=7, M=8 and D=9, the grade value get multiplied with the credit value, e.g. a 10 credit unit at Merit = 80.
    And then all 120 credits get totalled up to produce your final grade.

In regards to the table you posted, you need to select options and if you want to take a certain pathway then you need to select particular modules for that pathway. If you are just doing the standard course then look at the Diploma column and see which are mandatory and which are optional.
    thanks for that! that clears my mind alot.
    can u just tell me at the end of two years how many grades will i get???
    E.G"D*D*" OR JUST "D*"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master_X_142000)
    thanks for that! that clears my mind alot.
    can u just tell me at the end of two years how many grades will i get???
    E.G"D*D*" OR JUST "D*"
    BTEC Subsid / Ext. Cert = 1 grade (worth 1 A level)
    BTEC 90-credit = 2 grades (first is 1 A level equiv second is an AS)
    BTEC Diploma = 2 grades (both worth 1 A level each e.g. D*D*)
    BTEC Extended Diploma = 3 grades (all worth 1 A level each)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.