Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, I want to leave the university I'm at now. I'm struggling to settle in here to say the very least. It makes me miserable. I like my course, that's not the problem, I just don't like the place and I made a mistake going to a university so far away from home. I want to drop out of university this year and attend University of Liverpool, which is where my family and friends are. I've discussed this with my family and various other people and it definitely seems like what is best for me. However, I don't know how to go about doing this. I've got the grades to attend the uni, but reapplying and actually trying to leave here i'm unsure of. Also how would this affect my student loan? Anyone who has been in my position have any advice, that would be very much appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by bekkileigh85)
    Long story short, I want to leave the university I'm at now. I'm struggling to settle in here to say the very least. It makes me miserable. I like my course, that's not the problem, I just don't like the place and I made a mistake going to a university so far away from home. I want to drop out of university this year and attend University of Liverpool, which is where my family and friends are. I've discussed this with my family and various other people and it definitely seems like what is best for me. However, I don't know how to go about doing this. I've got the grades to attend the uni, but reapplying and actually trying to leave here i'm unsure of. Also how would this affect my student loan? Anyone who has been in my position have any advice, that would be very much appreciated!

The uni page isnt very helpful.
    https://www4.ntu.ac.uk/student_servi...ntu/index.html

Ok if you have made your mind up and have ruled out sticking out the year then transferring into year 2 at Liverpool you do the following. You cna also talk to welfare and a student adviser.

1. Contact the department to confirm what the official withdrawal procedure is. You can also talk to a student advisor or fees. the website is poor for this direct info and normally its a form which needs signing off by your department plus student fees. Thats the date they calculate fees.

2. Notify student accommodation. You will almost certainly be responsible for paying rent till you find a replacement.

3. Notify SFE that you have left. they will ask for any maintenance they consider is an overpayment. immediately. You can ask for an arrangement and up to 60 days of discretionary payment.

4. Any other debt goes to normal student debt repayable once you ran over £21 k as 9% of the excess.

5. Reapply as normal to UCAS.

6. It affects student loans in that you get funding for a full degree plus 1 gift year.
    7. You can use the gift year as your chance to change your mind and that leaves you with full funding for a different degree i,e the one at Liverpool. They then get much stricter so make sure its he degree you want and at the place you wish.

Think thats everything. Do it as quick as possible then get a job and earn money. You might need to offer a discount to offload the uni accommodation.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The uni page isnt very helpful.
    https://www4.ntu.ac.uk/student_servi...ntu/index.html

Ok if you have made your mind up and have ruled out sticking out the year then transferring into year 2 at Liverpool you do the following. You cna also talk to welfare and a student adviser.

1. Contact the department to confirm what the official withdrawal procedure is. You can also talk to a student advisor or fees. the website is poor for this direct info and normally its a form which needs signing off by your department plus student fees. Thats the date they calculate fees.

2. Notify student accommodation. You will almost certainly be responsible for paying rent till you find a replacement.

3. Notify SFE that you have left. they will ask for any maintenance they consider is an overpayment. immediately. You can ask for an arrangement and up to 60 days of discretionary payment.

4. Any other debt goes to normal student debt repayable once you ran over £21 k as 9% of the excess.

5. Reapply as normal to UCAS.

6. It affects student loans in that you get funding for a full degree plus 1 gift year.
    7. You can use the gift year as your chance to change your mind and that leaves you with full funding for a different degree i,e the one at Liverpool. They then get much stricter so make sure its he degree you want and at the place you wish.

Think thats everything. Do it as quick as possible then get a job and earn money. You might need to offer a discount to offload the uni accommodation.
    999tigger has offered some great advice there

(Original post by bekkileigh85)
    Hey bekkileigh85

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying your time at NTU I have sent you a DM so hopefully we'll find a solution.

Chris - NTU Rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.