Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A level subjects for Law Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I am in a bit of a quandary and wanted to know if the following subjects are good for law

I currently take:
    History
    Government and Politics
    Geography
    Computer Science.

Is this a good set of A levels for a future in taking law at Uni?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Cousins)
    Hi.
    I am in a bit of a quandary and wanted to know if the following subjects are good for law

I currently take:
    History
    Government and Politics
    Geography
    Computer Science.

I would recommend having Law and/or English Lit/language in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Cousins)
    Hi.

I currently take:
    History
    Government and Politics
    Geography
    Computer Science.

Yes - most don't have specific requirements. You may want to consider dropping one - four (unless they include Maths + FM) is a lot of work. Almost all offers will be on your best three, so you shouldn't compromise those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgem93)
    I would recommend having Law
    Does any university ask for Law 'A' level? Most seem, at best, ambivalent to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Does any university ask for Law 'A' level? Most seem, at best, ambivalent to it.
    I don't recall saying that it is essential or a requirement of any university, I am simply recommending it. Not all universities require an A level in Chemistry to study biomedical science, but it is beneficial to have prior knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgem93)
    I don't recall saying that it is essential or a requirement of any university, I am simply recommending it. Not all universities require an A level in Chemistry to study biomedical science, but it is beneficial to have prior knowledge.
    Perhaps I didn't phrase my reply as well as I could have.

Do any universities prefer Law over other rigourous subjects? Oxford doesn't, so certainly do not consider prior knowledge beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Perhaps I didn't phrase my reply as well as I could have.

Do any universities prefer Law over other rigourous subjects? Oxford doesn't, so certainly do not consider prior knowledge beneficial.
    There are no universities that ask for any specific subjects in general for law. But, as the other person has said, in a practical sense, it could be beneficial for you to do Law in A-level as it will mean you have basic knowledge of criminal law (more than likely) and will already have practice of answering problem style questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.