Turn on thread page Beta

An A Level in a year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of taking a gap year and maybe doing another A Level as there’s been complications with one of my courses and it would allow me to another A Level would allow me to apply to the unis I want to. I don’t know whether I would do Ancient History or Psychology for this.

Any advice on this matter appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would voice my own experience. I'm currently taking an extra A-Level in Philosophy using an online course, aiming to get an A/A* ... I can say that if you want to have a fulfilling gap year then you will be busy and working a lot. Currently, I have an evening job and a weekend job, work on the Philosophy A-Level and up till recently (i.e today when I sat the History Pre-Interview assessment) was preparing for Cambridge. Ultimately while this may not seem like much cramming 2 years worth of knowledge in 1 year on your own with little guidance is a difficult task, however, I would totally recommend it as I think the A-Level experience is altogether a positive one and could help you with applying to University, and/or with the course you plan to take.

Some things that I would feel that you should know before starting, however. You need to have a degree of self-motivation - I would recommend keeping to the same timetable as you would have used at your previous school as it helps with the routine. I would also definitely recommend enrolling in an online course. Some can be pretty pricey however there are some that are affordable. Alternatively, if you had friends who took the A-level you wish to take now; ask for their notes - it will make you miles ahead having exemplar essays to trace, and notes from teachers. Altogether I would say go for it.. it will be hard work but if it would help you apply to the universities that you want to go to, then I would definitely recommend. Use that as your motivation!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.