The Student Room Group

An A Level in a year?

Thinking of taking a gap year and maybe doing another A Level as there’s been complications with one of my courses and it would allow me to another A Level would allow me to apply to the unis I want to. I don’t know whether I would do Ancient History or Psychology for this.

Any advice on this matter appreciated
Reply 1
Thought I would voice my own experience. I'm currently taking an extra A-Level in Philosophy using an online course, aiming to get an A/A* ... I can say that if you want to have a fulfilling gap year then you will be busy and working a lot. Currently, I have an evening job and a weekend job, work on the Philosophy A-Level and up till recently (i.e today when I sat the History Pre-Interview assessment) was preparing for Cambridge. Ultimately while this may not seem like much cramming 2 years worth of knowledge in 1 year on your own with little guidance is a difficult task, however, I would totally recommend it as I think the A-Level experience is altogether a positive one and could help you with applying to University, and/or with the course you plan to take.

Some things that I would feel that you should know before starting, however. You need to have a degree of self-motivation - I would recommend keeping to the same timetable as you would have used at your previous school as it helps with the routine. I would also definitely recommend enrolling in an online course. Some can be pretty pricey however there are some that are affordable. Alternatively, if you had friends who took the A-level you wish to take now; ask for their notes - it will make you miles ahead having exemplar essays to trace, and notes from teachers. Altogether I would say go for it.. it will be hard work but if it would help you apply to the universities that you want to go to, then I would definitely recommend. Use that as your motivation!

Quick Reply

Latest