Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

my question is whether I am eligible to recieve a Postgraduate loan for a course in 'Education and International Development' starting in September 2018. I am a UK citizen who has (until recently) worked and paid taxes in the UK. However, in July this year I moved to Colombia to take up a 5 month teaching fellowship in order to gain experience for the Masters course (at least 6 months in a developing country is a requiremnet of the course). I return to the UK in December and then go to Sri Lanka in late January (again for a temporary contract).

My issue is that the eligibility criteria states that you have to be working and living in the UK for 3 years before your Masters. Will these temporary positions, which are essential for my study, prohibit me from recieving the postgraduate loan?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REC208)
    Hi,

my question is whether I am eligible to recieve a Postgraduate loan for a course in 'Education and International Development' starting in September 2018. I am a UK citizen who has (until recently) worked and paid taxes in the UK. However, in July this year I moved to Colombia to take up a 5 month teaching fellowship in order to gain experience for the Masters course (at least 6 months in a developing country is a requiremnet of the course). I return to the UK in December and then go to Sri Lanka in late January (again for a temporary contract).

My issue is that the eligibility criteria states that you have to be working and living in the UK for 3 years before your Masters. Will these temporary positions, which are essential for my study, prohibit me from recieving the postgraduate loan?
    Temporary travel and work abroad doesn’t change your residency. As long as you can prove that the trips were for a fixed period of time and you intended to return to the uk then you’ll be fine.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REC208)
    Hi,

Hi REC208,

To apply as a UK National you,

• Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and
    • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

To apply for Student Support if you have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break, you will be required to provide evidence of your temporary break regardless of the length of time you were temporary absent for. You would apply online and send evidence to prove that the break was of a temporary nature, whether it was voluntary work overseas or working abroad on a temporary contact of employment.

You could send for example a clear copy of temporary visas or work permits and a contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature or or a letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates.We can accept temporary breaks in residency but you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.