The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Evidence to support 'an Interview is an Offer' (University of Manchester)

Hi all,

I have seen it stated several times that 'an Interview is an Offer' when applying to Manchester. Are there any statistics, quotes from admissions staff, or other credible pieces of evidence that confirm this recieved wisdom? More ancedotally, does anyone know of any cases in which Manchester applicants have recieved interviews and not offers?

Thanks, LNWDC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LandoNorrisWDC
Hi all,

I have seen it stated several times that 'an Interview is an Offer' when applying to Manchester. Are there any statistics, quotes from admissions staff, or other credible pieces of evidence that confirm this recieved wisdom? More ancedotally, does anyone know of any cases in which Manchester applicants have recieved interviews and not offers?

Thanks, LNWDC

You say youve seen it stated several times. Where? Links?
What does it say on the uni site?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Hi all,

Thanks, LNWDC

For which course?
Original post by 999tigger
You say youve seen it stated several times. Where? Links?
What does it say on the uni site?

On student forum sites such as TSR and reddit - see this thread for an example. All anecdotally, hence why I created this thread.
Original post by Doonesbury
For which course?

Apologies for not making this clear in the OP. Computer Science (G400).

I expect Doones will look it up for you, so will leave it to him and check back.

Your phrase is slightly confusing and could mean a number of things.

I'm assuming you mean it always results in an offer.
If that were the case then why interview?
To which you could reply because offers vary.

If I was hunching then id say it was more likely they do or do not offer i.e there was a purpose to the interview (they are time consuming) rather than just to decide one grade difference.

If Doones doesnt solve it then just ask them.
I expect Doones will look it up for you, so will leave it to him and check back.

If I was hunching then id say it was more likely they do or do not offer i.e there was a purpose to the interview (they are time consuming) rather than just to decide one grade difference.

I see now that my original post might be confusing. To clarify, the question I am asking is:

"Does it hold true that, excepting extrodinary cases, an interview at the University of Manchester is guaranteed to translate into `some` offer (even if the interview almost certainly has a bearing on `which` offer you receive)?"
Reply 7

Yeah, Google is failing me on the specific stats (whatdotheyknow usually has this kind of thing).

But generally a Manchester interview (except Medicine) is not like an Oxbridge interview. They are really about persuading the applicant to firm them, not trying to discourage/filter away applicants.

So long as you don't smack the interviewer with a ferret a candidate is *extremely* likely to get an offer. They just want to check that you have some actual interest in the course.

As you say, tigger, the OP can always simply ask the admissions dept what their offer rate after interview actually is... :smile:
Yeah, Google is failing me on the specific stats (whatdotheyknow usually has this kind of thing).

But generally a Manchester interview (except Medicine) is not like an Oxbridge interview. They are really about persuading the applicant to firm them, not trying to discourage/filter away applicants.

So long as you don't smack the interviewer with a ferret a candidate is *extremely* likely to get an offer. They just want to check that you have some actual interest in the course.

As you say, tigger, the OP can always simply ask the admissions dept what their offer rate after interview actually is... :smile:

Would it be OK to smack them with a squirrel instead?

More seriously, thanks for your response - it has set my mind at ease. I shall appreciate the oppertunity to see the University in person anyhow, and missing a Thursday afternoon Physics lesson will only be an added bonus :wink:
Reply 9
Would it be OK to smack them with a squirrel instead?

Only if it's a red one. Or blue (it's Manchester I guess.)

You're welcome :smile:

And good luck - but keep the ferret ready for action though. Just in case...
Only if it's a red one. Or blue (it's Manchester I guess.)

You're welcome :smile:

And good luck - but keep the ferret ready for action though. Just in case...

Thanks, I appreciate that. And thanks for all the work you do here.... I've practically gotten to the point of doing CTRL-F 'Doones' when I stumble into TSR threads to find the _actual_ answer I'm looking for!
Reply 11
Thanks, I appreciate that. And thanks for all the work you do here.... I've practically gotten to the point of doing CTRL-F 'Doones' when I stumble into TSR threads to find the _actual_ answer I'm looking for!

:hat2:
I also got an interview from them for computer science
I know Doonesbury wrote a great answer for this question but I can just reiterate what he’s said; people in my immediate family work at Manchester University and they have said that the interviews are much more the uni trying to “sell” to the applicants rather than the other way round.

So yes, I am fairly certain an interview means an offer
Original post by Pastelx
I know Doonesbury wrote a great answer for this question but I can just reiterate what he’s said; people in my immediate family work at Manchester University and they have said that the interviews are much more the uni trying to “sell” to the applicants rather than the other way round.

So yes, I am fairly certain an interview means an offer

That's very reassuring - thanks.
Reply 15
Interview doesn’t mean an offer, I got rejected post interview
Reply 16
Original post by H3n
Interview doesn’t mean an offer, I got rejected post interview

Sorry to read that. Which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Sorry to read that. Which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics lol. The head of admissions said we will pretty much all get offers and that the interview is just to get to know the uni. Then my interviewer grilled me asked me hundreds of physics and maths questions and kept scrunching his eyes everytime I started talking and kept checking his watch.
Everyone else’s interview was simple and the most complex question they got asked was ‘how did you revise for GCSEs’

Thought it was unfair but kind of made me not want to go there anyway, so wasn’t too fussed with the rejection(as long as I get some offers hahah)
Reply 18
Original post by H3n
Physics lol. The head of admissions said we will pretty much all get offers and that the interview is just to get to know the uni. Then my interviewer grilled me asked me hundreds of physics and maths questions and kept scrunching his eyes everytime I started talking and kept checking his watch.
Everyone else’s interview was simple and the most complex question they got asked was ‘how did you revise for GCSEs’

Thought it was unfair but kind of made me not want to go there anyway, so wasn’t too fussed with the rejection(as long as I get some offers hahah)

Oh dear! Well good luck with your other offers ..
Reply 19
I have a been invited to an interview/visit day in December at UoM. Just out of interest, did you take a guest with you such as parent? Or did many other people have a guest or parent with them? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest