The Student Room Group

How do I leave my job as a waitress?

Hi everyone. So I’ve been working at my local pub for the last 5 months. I loved it at first and I was offered quite a lot of hours, however now I feel almost anxious to go to work there and my only shifts are every other Saturday. The pay isn’t great either and I don’t really get many tips due to it being quieter on a Saturday.

My friend recently started working at the Indian and I’m planning to work there as well. I just need to leave my current job first.

I’ve never left a job before so I’m a bit clueless about what to do. So how do I leave my job? Do I need to give any notice? Any other advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Odetosophxo
Hi everyone. So I’ve been working at my local pub for the last 5 months. I loved it at first and I was offered quite a lot of hours, however now I feel almost anxious to go to work there and my only shifts are every other Saturday. The pay isn’t great either and I don’t really get many tips due to it being quieter on a Saturday.

My friend recently started working at the Indian and I’m planning to work there as well. I just need to leave my current job first.

I’ve never left a job before so I’m a bit clueless about what to do. So how do I leave my job? Do I need to give any notice? Any other advice?

Talk to your supervisor and ask about your notice period (How long you have to tell them before leaving). For me it was three weeks but it might be longer or shorter for you. Write a resignation letter (you can find templates online) and hand it in. As long you keep everything above board instead of just running out I'm sure they'll be happy to give you a reference.
Original post by Flipurry
Talk to your supervisor and ask about your notice period (How long you have to tell them before leaving). For me it was three weeks but it might be longer or shorter for you. Write a resignation letter (you can find templates online) and hand it in. As long you keep everything above board instead of just running out I'm sure they'll be happy to give you a reference.

I agree
What does your contract say regarding a notice period?
Original post by bones-mccoy
What does your contract say regarding a notice period?

I don’t really have a contract
Give notice, perhaps one more shift if they are only every fortnight.
Original post by Odetosophxo
I don’t really have a contract

Then your notice period will probably be one week as you've only been there for 5 months

Latest

Trending

Trending