Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are my grades in A level Biology okay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!! I just started sixth form this year and I absolutely love biology.

In the first test we did, I got an E, and in the test I got back today I got a D (one mark from a C!!). At this point in the year, is this okay?? Or should I be worried??

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 atm but I got a U last year, in the first exam and an A in the second one a few weeks later lol.
    I didn't really revise for the first exam though.

You shouldn't be worried, you have plenty of time yet to learn the style of the paper (A level is different compared to GCSE) and how to get higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rootgroves)

In the first test we did, I got an E, and in the test I got back today I got a D (one mark from a C!!). At this point in the year, is this okay?? Or should I be worried??
    Yeah, they seem relatively normal for the first year of A-Levels in November.

Try and do more past papers and you'll soon get better each time. A lot of biology questions are similar year to year and you'll soon start to see which keywords examiners are looking out for.

ReputationRep:

Hey! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but sorry, not really.

However! It is not the end of the world. Since you recently just started sixth form, the grades at the start of the year don't really account towards anything, but really, you should be getting B's / A's around this time. I would recommend spending at least 2 hours a day revising into Biology, so you can get that massive A on the next test.

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha no, we've just begun A levels, my school is getting these results as well.
    Don't worry! What you need to do is correct your answers with your teacher if you haven't already then learn the way the mark scheme wants you to answer.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickiestRick)

However! It is not the end of the world. Since you recently just started sixth form, the grades at the start of the year don't really account towards anything, but really, you should be getting B's / A's around this time. I would recommend spending at least 2 hours a day revising into Biology, so you can get that massive A on the next test.

Hope I helped!
    2 hrs a day? Why? Sounds completely insane and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:

Hope I helped!
    His grades are completely normal.... 2 hours a day is excessive. No one is going to spend 6h a day completing additional revision assuming 3 a levels are being taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRAnders)
    His grades are completely normal.... 2 hours a day is excessive. No one is going to spend 6h a day completing additional revision assuming 3 a levels are being taken.
    I'm sorry mate, but I'm currently in Yr. 11, doing 4 Hours a day, 2 hours for maths, and 2 hours for another subject of my choice. I didn't say that they had to do 6h a days, since they're only taking 3 subjects, they can do an interval of 2 hours for Biology one day, 2 hours for another subject the next day.

It's not hard. If you truly want to do well, surely you'll be dedicated enough to put the hours in and studying time to get the grades you want.

ReputationRep:
    completely normal - you're only just getting used to A Level standard, you'll pick it up soon

edit: just so you know it is recommended to do an additional five hours per subject per week for a levels - for as include your homework in this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry mate, but I'm currently in Yr. 11, doing 4 Hours a day, 2 hours for maths, and 2 hours for another subject of my choice. I didn't say that they had to do 6h a days, since they're only taking 3 subjects, they can do an interval of 2 hours for Biology one day, 2 hours for another subject the next day.

It's not hard. If you truly want to do well, surely you'll be dedicated enough to put the hours in and studying time to get the grades you want.
    I'm sorry mate, but I've just been through my A-Levels and I certainly didn't put in 2 hrs a day and neither did anyone else in my class. We all came out with A/A* grades.

Long revision sessions =/= quality. Revise smarter.

ReputationRep:

Hope I helped!
    2 hours a day is unrealistic. Nothing goes in!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I'm sorry mate, but I've just been through my A-Levels and I certainly didn't put in 2 hrs a day and neither did anyone else in my class. We all came out with A/A* grades.

Long revision sessions =/= quality. Revise smarter.
    Then how do Korean's get the best grades in the world? They put in more than 2 hours a day, come out with amazing results.

And I never said that I don't revise smart. I apply the spacing effect to all my revision sessions, and are finding my recalling capabilities of the work that I have done extremely well.

Long revision sessions do equal quality. You just have to be able to concentrate for a long period of time, and that is not hard to do.

ReputationRep:
    Then how do Korean's get the best grades in the world? They put in more than 2 hours a day, come out with amazing results.

And I never said that I don't revise smart. I apply the spacing effect to all my revision sessions, and are finding my recalling capabilities of the work that I have done extremely well.

Long revision sessions do equal quality. You just have to be able to concentrate for a long period of time, and that is not hard to do.
    Look at South Korean youth suicide rates.

Long revision sessions do not equal quality. That's just a false equivalence. It's what you do during that time that counts.

I'd like to think going through GCSEs and A-Levels means I have at least an ounce of experience when it comes to revising.

ReputationRep:

Appreciate there is more to life than academics. You can not be a well rounded individual if you do what you have described. Understandable from spring yr 13, but doing it before then will just mean you will burn out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! thanks for all your support (it would have taken me forever to reply to every message, sorry aha). I feel so much better now. The level of detail needed in A level questions is an awful lot higher than GCSE and the applied ones are tricky. I think if i practice my exam technique I'll see a definite improvement. thank you all! <3

ReputationRep:
    but really, you should be getting B's / A's around this time.
    I really do appreciate the advice but how could you possibly know that considering you've only just gone into Year 11?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! thanks for all your support (it would have taken me forever to reply to every message, sorry aha). I feel so much better now. The level of detail needed in A level questions is an awful lot higher than GCSE and the applied ones are tricky. I think if i practice my exam technique I'll see a definite improvement. thank you all! <3
    If you do enough past papers, you'll know exactly what the examiner is looking for in terms of keywords.

A lot of A-Level Biologists find the extra level of detail required in answers compared to GCSE rather surprising. You'll get the hang of it Just remember, no need to go overkill with the revision.

ReputationRep:
    2 hrs a day? Why? Sounds completely insane and unnecessary.
    Wait, 2 hours a day is too long, I do 4-6 hours a day, is that too much?, also how much did you revise for your AS year everyday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    Wait, 2 hours a day is too long, I do 4-6 hours a day, is that too much?, also how much did you revise for your AS year everyday?
    I didn't revise for my AS until a few weeks before the mock and then the same for the actual exam.

I can't retain that much information for long, so I tend to cram and then forget everything as soon as I exit the exam hall XD

2 hrs each day on the LEAD UP to the exam is probably good, but 2 hrs each day throughout the academic yr is too much.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't revise for my AS until a few weeks before the mock and then the same for the actual exam.

I can't retain that much information for long, so I tend to cram and then forget everything as soon as I exit the exam hall XD

2 hrs each day on the LEAD UP to the exam is probably good, but 2 hrs each day throughout the academic yr is too much.
    And you said you got all A/A*, wow you must be so naturally smart, but tbh it's different for me because I want to do Medicine so I have to put the work and effort in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.