Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, let me introduce myself. I am currently a Year 11 student. I come from Romania and moved to England two years ago, where I started school starting year 9. Most of my target grades are As, With an A* in Maths and ICT and Bs in Geography and Art. I like to draw as a hobby.
    I am also diagnosed with Aspergers, but that is not what this post is about.

The open day at my chosen sixth form school is in a few days. I have already discussed with my parents what I want to do for A-levels and they seem satisfied with my choice.
    I want to do Maths, Physics and Computer Science. (They are things that I enjoy even though I do not practice them in my free time)
    What I'd like to ask is: Are these A-levels a good choice? Can I find a proper job with these subjects? Should I change one of the subjects for my own good?

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    If those are the subjects that you enjoy, go for it!
    However, you may find that they are all very similar, so consider taking something which isn't so similar...but only if you will enjoy it and love doing it! A levels are very difficult, and the best way to succeed is to choose subjects that you want to study...the subjects that you find most fun to study etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nordicMediocre)
    Hello, let me introduce myself. I am currently a Year 11 student. I come from Romania and moved to England two years ago, where I started school starting year 9. Most of my target grades are As, With an A* in Maths and ICT and Bs in Geography and Art. I like to draw as a hobby.

The open day at my chosen sixth form school is in a few days. I have already discussed with my parents what I want to do for A-levels and they seem satisfied with my choice.
    I want to do Maths, Physics and Computer Science. (They are things that I enjoy even though I do not practice them in my free time)
    What I'd like to ask is: Are these A-levels a good choice? Can I find a proper job with these subjects? Should I change one of the subjects for my own good?

Thanks for reading.
    Fantastic A-Level choices. You enjoy them too which is even better.

ReputationRep:
    They're fine: you've got two facilitating subjects (Maths & Physics), which should give you a good grounding for most university courses in your subject area. If you feel that you will enjoy your subjects, you are likely to do well in them - employers, by and large, are more interested in the grades you get than the subjects you study.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say the fact that you moved from Romania two years ago and you are targeted A*s and As is a big achievement. You should be proud despite your condition. The A levels you have chosen coincide with one another nicely.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They're all good choices. If you're very good at Maths, and enjoy it, you may want to consider taking Further Maths as a fourth option - this isn't unusual and isn't as much work as it may seem for those students who are particularly inclined towards mathematics.

But it's a good set of options where each complements the others well, so don't worry about it too much if you aren't able to. They would be suitable for almost all engineering and computer science degree programmes, or for most mathematics or physical science programmes (excepting chemistry). It would also be good for other subjects such as Law or Economics which are less prescriptive about prior subject knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    In the future there will definitely be a lot of jobs involving computers, maths and science. If it's what you enjoy then go for it! It might be worth seeking some career's advice at college, just so you have a better idea of where it can take you. As you learn you'll discover new sides of the subjects that you might be interested in, if you're into science and maths then there's a lot of places you can go. It might be good to chose something less science/maths related for some variety, but if you like your chosen subjects then it's not a major problem really. You can make up for variety by joining clubs and doing work experience and stuff.

You'll have a few weeks when you start college where you can change your subjects if you need to, so if I were you I'd go with your chosen ones and see how you feel after you've gotten some experience of the lessons.

Good luck of your gcse's! I'm sure you'll do great

ReputationRep:

Thanks for reading.
    Yes those are great, it'd help to know what you want to for a degree and where though. Computer Science could possibly make your application weaker, also check entry requirements on Ucas for degrees you think you might want to do. Yours would be weaker than someone who took two sciences because of Comp Sci. Comp Sci is basically maths and physics as well. If you want to do Computer Science, go for it. If you want a prestigious uni or different course consider another a science instead of Comp Sci. Or even better, further maths. That'll make a perfect application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    They're all good choices. If you're very good at Maths, and enjoy it, you may want to consider taking Further Maths as a fourth option - this isn't unusual and isn't as much work as it may seem for those students who are particularly inclined towards mathematics.

But it's a good set of options where each complements the others well, so don't worry about it too much if you aren't able to. They would be suitable for almost all engineering and computer science degree programmes, or for most mathematics or physical science programmes (excepting chemistry). It would also be good for other subjects such as Law or Economics which are less prescriptive about prior subject knowledge.
    Thank you very much for the given advice.
    I may have a think about choosing further maths, despite I have heard choosing a fourth option in general is going to quite mess with my schedule and own energy.

I do plan on going to university after sixth form, mainly for mathematics. I like to have my job choices open as long as I have the skill that I prefer to have. Fixating myself to a particular job feels like is going to make me more vulnerable to the risk of failure when things don't go my way, and I've already been dealing with some anxiety issues(probably due to my autism, though).

And yes, I'd like to do something computer-related, and more of a desk job, since I'm not very physically resistant. (wait I think that was worded wrong, what I mean is that I'm not very strong and precise)
    Law and Economics often involve people, and socializing and adapting are my weaker points, so I prefer to work on my own.

Again, thank you very much for this kind advice.

ReputationRep:
    I may have a think about choosing further maths, despite I have heard choosing a fourth option in general is going to quite mess with my schedule and own energy.

I do plan on going to university after sixth form, mainly for mathematics. I like to have my job choices open as long as I have the skill that I prefer to have. Fixating myself to a particular job feels like is going to make me more vulnerable to the risk of failure when things don't go my way, and I've already been dealing with some anxiety issues(probably due to my autism, though).

And yes, I'd like to do something computer-related, and more of a desk job, since I'm not very physically resistant. (wait I think that was worded wrong, what I mean is that I'm not very strong and precise)
    Law and Economics often involve people, and socializing and adapting are my weaker points, so I prefer to work on my own.

If you want to do maths at uni then I’d definitely recommend taking further maths either instead of computer science or as a fourth options.
    If you don’t do further maths there will be a handful of universities you won’t be able to apply for
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

In general, the "four options are too many" advice applies to every combination except those which have Maths and Further Maths. In general due to the very similar examination style and subject content, the combination is less work, qualitatively, for candidates - in fact some universities don't accept the combination as two separate A-levels for some courses (medicine and LSE, primarily) and thus require two other A-levels in addition anyway.

Maths and Further Maths with two other options is a very common combination, and if you're seriously considering studying Mathematics to degree level it would be recommended to take double Maths over any other subject combinations first, to ensure good preparation. While in a pinch A-level Maths by itself will suffice as adequate preparation, the combination not only makes some things you learn in first year already familiar, but moreover will give you some taste of the nature of university mathematics - namely, the sheer volume of it. You'll be living and breathing maths, which is probably something you find appealing if you're considering it, so doing what you can to emulate that at A-level is only a good thing

In terms of job positions, if you don't decide to remain in Maths, you can go into plenty of areas of e.g. business and finance (for example actuarial science, which isn't so "people oriented", data science, some engineering related roles, some software development and related roles, etc, etc. It's fairly flexible. Also within the realm of academia, there are innumerable choices to pursue. It's not uncommon for Maths undergrads to pursue PhDs in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, etc, etc, as well as the many areas of mathematics itself.

ReputationRep:
    Understood then, I may proceed in taking further maths.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for reading.
    The most important thing is to choose subjects you'll enjoy and will do well at. You shouldn't put yourself through a subject if you won't enjoy it.

Anyhow, there isn't really anything wrong with your choice. They work together well, and will get you into lots of good courses (physics, computer science, engineering etc) in uni.

Some people above mentioned Further Maths which could be a good choice if you think you're up to it. I wouldn't really say the maths is necessarily harder, just that there's more of it. Also, some of the pure stuff gets rather abstract - you'll be looking at completely alien concepts like complex numbers. Remember that most sixth forms allow you to take a subject and then drop it at some point (some may have a cutoff date for this), so you can try doing four then cut down to three if you find the workload too much.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent choices. Good luck and work hard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.