Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

4 in GCSE Maths- enough for pyschology degree in 'top' unis e.g. Russel group Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 and am considering studying psychology at degree level as I enjoy it and it is probably my strongest subject (Im also doing English Lit and Spanish)

At GCSEs I achieved mainly As, a few Bs, 2 A*s and 1 C in maths. Providing I get the best grades I can e.g.. A at A level (particularly in psychology) and make my personal statement stand out as much as possible - would I be able to get an offer(even from unis that say they want a 5?

Also, has anyone been in a similar situation??

Note: i have also read that Cambridge, unlike many other universities do not focus very much on GCSEs and apparently have no 'official' GCSE maths requirements in order to study psychology.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by 1mmy)
    I am currently in year 12 and am considering studying psychology at degree level as I enjoy it and it is probably my strongest subject (Im also doing English Lit and Spanish)

At GCSEs I achieved mainly As, a few Bs, 2 A*s and 1 C in maths. Providing I get the best grades I can e.g.. A at A level (particularly in psychology) and make my personal statement stand out as much as possible - would I be able to get an offer(even from unis that say they want a 5?

Also, has anyone been in a similar situation??

Note: i have also read that Cambridge, unlike many other universities do not focus very much on GCSEs and apparently have no 'official' GCSE maths requirements in order to study psychology.
    Id the courses you wish to apply for and see if they require a 4,5,6 etc.

For the ones that require more than you have then check if you can still apply to avoid wasting a choice.

You can keep your app alive if you put down you are retaking GCSE Maths.

If the course is competitive then you need to d the above because virtually everyone else will have the requirement, so you would already be on the backfoot.

They may or may not overlook it, which is why you ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Id the courses you wish to apply for and see if they require a 4,5,6 etc.

For the ones that require more than you have then check if you can still apply to avoid wasting a choice.

You can keep your app alive if you put down you are retaking GCSE Maths.

If the course is competitive then you need to d the above because virtually everyone else will have the requirement, so you would already be on the backfoot.

They may or may not overlook it, which is why you ask.
    Hi, thanks for the reply- asking them is a good idea, I really do want to retake it however my school won’t allow it as I technically haven’t done badly enough for a retake and the potential stress on top of other subjects it will cause but I’ll try and push for it
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by 1mmy)
    Hi, thanks for the reply- asking them is a good idea, I really do want to retake it however my school won’t allow it as I technically haven’t done badly enough for a retake and the potential stress on top of other subjects it will cause but I’ll try and push for it
    Its just a GCSE.

You can ask the school, but you dont need their permission and can ell them you intend to resit as a private candidate i.e you pay. then you just go and resit. You can ask if you can sit it at school otherwise you find another exam centre. You need to pay the exam fee and then a centre fee.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.