Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI I'm choosing my options for A-level and I've chosen the subjects I want to do:
    Drama and Theatre studies
    Media studies
    Photography
    However two teachers have mentioned that I may need to pick a more "traditional subject" like English or History, especially if I want to go to uni. Thing is I don't know if I want to go to uni and I've picked subjects that I KNOW I will enjoy and right now I don't particularly enjoy English or history so I'm quite baffled on what to do. As I mentioned I don't know if I want to go to Uni but I don't want to block that option off completely.
    ANY IDEAS )))))))

ReputationRep:
    Maths and English are core subjects so they are good to keep.
    I would say, if you like learning things and dates etc, go for history.
    If you like reading, go for English. I didn't pick English because I hate reading and don't regret it because there is a lot of reading to do in it.
    In my opinion, English seems like the subject that fits well with your choices. But the choice is yours after all 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Always do what you've enjoyed more in the past as you'll be doing it for at least one year maybe even two of your life. Generally English is a subject that can be seen as more general and can apply to a greater range of possible university degrees than History can, as History is more a specific subject. But both are equally reputable as subjects on your personal statement.

See what teachers are doing each respective subject and if they are particularly good, this could be a factor in the decision making process. Whilst also have a glance at the syllabus for each one, if the idea of reading some of the books excites you for English but let's say the British parliament 1906-1964 doesn't, this could also be another thing to consider.

Completely personal opinion, I'd go for English as I think for Drama in particular it'll really aid the essay part and it'll crucially assist in some of the thinking behind Media Studies but that's just me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    English complements your other subjects - it's fundamentally the same as Media, except applied to literary media instead of contemporary/electronic/mass media in terms of analysing the content of a given...thing. It also fits in with Drama as you'll be analysing some dramatic works in it without fail.

It somewhat depends on what you want to do in the medium to long term however. If you intend to do a "creative arts" degree (including in say, photography), then Fine Art (or Art & Design) would be better to develop your overall artistic and design abilities in various media, as well as prepare for an art foundation if you did pursue that route. If you want to do a performing arts degree, in acting, dance, etc, then it doesn't really matter so much - Drama would probably be the most relevant, supported by relevant experience and audition. If you were specifically interested in musically related performance, then Music might be a good idea.

If you wanted to pursue a traditional academic program, then I'd suggest you reflect on whether this is actually something you want to do or if you you're just going to university "because". Your subjects chosen and interests indicated don't really suggest that's something you enjoy or are interested in. If it was something under consideration, I'd recommend checking subject requirements, and switching two of those options for more "traditional" academic subjects (or taking four, including two such subjects). You can get some idea of what subjects would be considered as such from e.g. the LSE subject requirements page, as any in their "preferred" subject list would satsify that criteria as good preparation for degree level work. Some subjects from the "non-preferred" list would be suitable for specific degrees, there or elsewhere - for example Art for Architecture or possibly History of Art, Music for Music, Drama for English, or any one of those for Anthropology or Cultural Studies (or perhaps Classics or Archaeology, depending on your specific interests in those realms).

It's worth bearing in mind, there's no point trying to conform to the latter suggestion if it's not something you are good at or will enjoy, as this is like to cause you to get poorer grades than you would otherwise. Even if you did gain good grades and go on to an academic course as above, if such academic study isn't something you enjoy in A-level I assure you that it will be even less enjoyable at degree level.

Finally, if you aren't particularly considering university then it doesn't really matter so much. Getting good grades would be more of a benefit than doing "preferred" subjects overall, although even that isn't going to be a huge consideration. You may want to look into some apprenticeship programmes in that case, as some may take on 16-18 apprentices which will allow you to being that track earlier and qualify if applicable sooner in your vocation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.