Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to approach my biology teacher when asking about cancer watch

ReputationRep:
    So basically someone close to me had cancer in the past. I told my head of year/section that I wanted to know more, and a few other things related to it and she suggested talking to my biology teacher about it. How should I approach her on the subject?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by ChasingStars26)
    So basically someone close to me had cancer in the past. I told my head of year/section that I wanted to know more, and a few other things related to it and she suggested talking to my biology teacher about it. How should I approach her on the subject?
    You could ask the head of year to introduce you/ brief the biology teacher. I guess that makes sure everyone is on the right page before you begin.

ReputationRep:
    If you know the teacher, just be honest, tell them why you're asking and that you'd like to understand more about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChasingStars26)
    You don't, that's not something you talk to a teacher about at all. There's this magical thing called Google which can help you find the answers you want, use it.

ReputationRep:
    Have you covered the topic of cancer, or is it in your specification, is it linked to something you're revising because then you can approach it as a revision question. I was in the same position, honestly the best approach is one that is direct, i think after one biology lesson i just asked "Can a benign tumour become cancerous?" from then we talked about causes, probabilities and even cancer on a cellular level. If you want to know just ask, but try to ask at a time where maybe it's just you and them ( because then you can as much as you like freely) or when they're not busy (like after the lesson). I hope you find out what you want to know

ReputationRep:
    why can't you just ask her straight up in private? My bio teacher says if we have any qs at all feel free to ask her and she'll answer. Just say u were reading into it and wanted to know more from an expert face to face?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MozartEd)
    Have you covered the topic of cancer, or is it in your specification, is it linked to something you're revising because then you can approach it as a revision question. I was in the same position, honestly the best approach is one that is direct, i think after one biology lesson i just asked "Can a benign tumour become cancerous?" from then we talked about causes, probabilities and even cancer on a cellular level. If you want to know just ask, but try to ask at a time where maybe it's just you and them ( because then you can as much as you like freely) or when they're not busy (like after the lesson). I hope you find out what you want to know
    We’ve started organs so I think we may do it soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    why can't you just ask her straight up in private? My bio teacher says if we have any qs at all feel free to ask her and she'll answer. Just say u were reading into it and wanted to know more from an expert face to face?
    I do talk to her a lot about other things so I’ll ask her

cancer is uncontrolled cell division which results from a mutation in one of the two genes that control when enough cells have been produced via mitosis. When a tumour changes from benign to malignant it becomes cancerous. don't know why I'm saying this tbh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.