Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have work experience at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and their dress code is:

Clinical Dress Code Policy
    1. In the Clinical environment everyone should be bare below the elbows
    2. No finger or wrist jewellery (wedding band exempt)
    3. Nails must be short, false nails and varnish must not be worn

All Staff Dress Code Policy
    1. Clothing and appearance must project a professional image and must not cause embarrassment or offence to patients, colleagues, other staff or visitors to the Trust
    2. Clothing must be clean, safe, smart and in good state of repair.
    3. Clean odour free clothes
    4. Footwear must be clean and smart and not put the wearer at risk of injury
    5. Very casual or high fashion trousers e.g. ripped jeans, denim, leggings etc. are not permitted

Are plain black and grey turtle necks okay? I don't really own blouses and i'm not sure what to wear. Also, are school shoes okay and considered smart and safe?

ReputationRep:
    I think a turtle neck would be okay when paired with the right trousers /skirt
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes school shoes are smart and safe. Dark clothing is smart. Turtle necks may be considered abit casual. I’m not sure. For a hospital a smart shirt and school trousers may be suitable. Bearing in mind the weather it may be permitted if it’s cold. Comfortability is key though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Only if you get them in a slightly darker black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldor711)
    Only if you get them in a slightly darker black
    Its just plain black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayeen)
    Its just plain black
    Sorry, slightly obscure reference. I'm afraid that I don't have anything of significance to add to the discussion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldor711)
    Sorry, slightly obscure reference. I'm afraid that I don't have anything of significance to add to the discussion
    Not an Archer reference?

To the OP: I think a turtleneck will be fine. It covers everything up they've asked to be covered up, and I see women (and men) wearing them in workplaces all the time (albeit not super-smart workplaces).

I assume you're going to be in the clinical environment from your post, but if not then you could probably pair the turtleneck with a blazer or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Not an Archer reference?

To the OP: I think a turtleneck will be fine. It covers everything up they've asked to be covered up, and I see women (and men) wearing them in workplaces all the time (albeit not super-smart workplaces).

I assume you're going to be in the clinical environment from your post, but if not then you could probably pair the turtleneck with a blazer or something.
    I'm just going to see. I'm going to wear the turtle neck for the induction and if there are any problems i'm going to wear something else for when i actually start. I'm not too sure on what I will be doing all I know is I am going to be in a ward. I'm guessing its clinical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayeen)
    I'm just going to see. I'm going to wear the turtle neck for the induction and if there are any problems i'm going to wear something else for when i actually start. I'm not too sure on what I will be doing all I know is I am going to be in a ward. I'm guessing its clinical.
    Yep, probably. Roll those sleeves up.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Yep, probably. Roll those sleeves up.
    Except the turtleneck, that needs rolling down otherwise OP won't be able to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great if you are, in fact, a French philosopher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.