The Student Room Group

Fat people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
You're not allowed to hate black people anymore so you need a new group to hate?

You're not allowed to hate black people anymore so you need a new group to hate?

What?! You must be American to make this about race. Making fun of fat people isn't a new thing. Nothing to do with black folk omg. And even still, fat white people still have it better than fit black people.
#FatLivesMatta!

#GiveThemMoreBacon
Reply 22
I have more important things to worry about and so should you.

Not really the same thing now is it, race is something you can't change, weight is
Well yes all people deserve to be respected no matter what their size

But I certainly don't like the acceptance movement when its rubbed in your face. Because it comes across as advertising that its ok to be a certain weight. And its not ok to be super morbidly obese to the point where you are putting your health in danger and YES I feel the exact same way about super skinny models too. They are both giving off the wrong impression that its ok to be a certain weight.
To be honest, someone's weight has nothing to do with you. It's not your problem nor does it affect your life. You may not find it attractive but people don't exist for the purpose of gaining your approval. Losing weight is a process and people have different metabolisms. I like to mention weight =/= indicator of health. I'm not saying being overweight is beneficial but being "skinny" or average size does not equal health. You can be skinny or average size and have high cholesterol or other health problems.

Also it sounds like what you're saying is someone looks unhealthy or they're fat and you don't like fat we should just attack and devalue someone over it.
Original post by helalaxo
You realise that it can be genetic, such as having a slow metabolism. That is inherited from birth. That's some biology for you :smile:

Oh, so you didn't read my original quote. Good for you, so now you're argument is rendered invalid because you don't even know who you're arguing with
fat person here. im so sorry my weight offends you. im humbly sorry that us fat people are not up to your clear perfectness. you call us lazy well try carrying say an extra 20kg or 50 about for a few days you will discover why. now back to your wonderfulness. stupid skinny brain dead idiots who think that they have the right to look at others and consider themselves better have a serious problem. i dont judge anyone be they a boney pillock or a fat person. i judge them on the behavior and attitude. now i take it you dont drink smoke or use drugs or even pork out because that would make you a total loser. FAT SHAMING IS JUST A FORM OF BULLYING. that usually indicates that your a sad loser. in fact lets face it you are just a sad excuse for a human being. WHOOPS IM SO SORRY YOU Übermensch

Original post by paulbarlow
fat person here. im so sorry my weight offends you. im humbly sorry that us fat people are not up to your clear perfectness. you call us lazy well try carrying say an extra 20kg or 50 about for a few days you will discover why. now back to your wonderfulness. stupid skinny brain dead idiots who think that they have the right to look at others and consider themselves better have a serious problem. i dont judge anyone be they a boney pillock or a fat person. i judge them on the behavior and attitude. now i take it you dont drink smoke or use drugs or even pork out because that would make you a total loser. FAT SHAMING IS JUST A FORM OF BULLYING. that usually indicates that your a sad loser. in fact lets face it you are just a sad excuse for a human being. WHOOPS IM SO SORRY YOU Übermensch

You a subject of bullying or something? Mate here's some 'internet snickers' - have some, because you ain't you when your hungry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mU6USTBRE

Did that piss you off? Good. Now here's some life advice; You shouldn't take things too seriously, because it's just going to make you more depressed. So move on and embrace that you are, who you are.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
You a subject of bullying or something? Mate here's some 'internet snickers' - have some, because you ain't you when your hungry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mU6USTBRE

Did that piss you off? Good. Now here's some life advice; You shouldn't take things too seriously, because it's just going to make you more depressed. So move on and embrace that you are, who you are.

go **** yourself
Original post by helalaxo
You having a slow metabolism doesn't mean you are unable to lose weight. Someone suffering Polycystic ovary syndrome for example is.

Pcos doesn't stop you from being able to loose weight though? Yes it makes it harder but not 100% impossible. Also it's actually pretty bloody important to try and keep your weight (from fat) down as well as you can because if you have pcos then not only do you put fat on around your organs - the most dangerous place to put it on - but you also increase the severity of your other pcos symptoms.
Original post by Seungy_Han
There are number of "Plus-size" models in the industry and there are protests to respect fat people. Question is do fat people really deserve equal respect to someone who is average weight? I am not including fat people who do may not be able to reduce their weight due to problems.

Do you think anyone should respect you and if so why?

I can see why people would not.
How they look may determine their effort to keep healthy, every fat person knows its unhealthy to be fat. and if they cared about their well being they would make an attempt not to be fat. why should a person eating unhealthy meats and chips etc deserve respect when they don't even respect themselves
So many saints on TSR. Can't keep up with them.
Ultimately, I'd say it simply boils down to whether they're willing to change and whether the expect 100% equality, until I see otherwise, I'm very sceptical of the idea that problems would prevent people from loosing weight. Yes, I'm sure there are some legitimate cases where there are genuine problems that hinder them, but they are the minority.

Things like low metabolism aren't really an excuse, eat less (but don't cut it too much, else you make it worse) , move more. Build some muscle, make sure you're getting your Omega 3s, eat/drink healthier (drink green tea for example), ect...

As long as they're part of the minority who legitimately can't or willing to do something about it and/or don't expect to pay the same amount as everyone else for things like clothes, and realise that sometimes they may just be physically too big to do something or too big to fit into one seat on a plane or in a cinema (thus would need to buy more than one ticket). Then they should be treated with respect
I found it quite interesting how the only reasons for being overweight mentioned here are genetic disorders and disabilities. A large proportion of people who overeat tend to be stressed (comfort eating) and unhappy, problems which are increasingly common with the pressures of living in the modern world. Secondly, having an eating disorder can make a person overweight - it is common for eating disorders to be exclusively associated with very underweight people, but that simply isn't true. Also, it is not the case that all overweight people are lazy - it does relate to lifestyle habits but also eating habits which originate from childhood and the way we were brought up, so parenting has a strong influence. There are all sorts of different reasons that a person may become overweight and it makes me so angry to see people calling them lazy etc. Losing weight is easier said than done especially for those who are not very knowledgeable about diet/nutrition. But to call them lazy is simply ridiculous - just to illustrate my point, here are two hypothetical people, Bill and Ben. Bill is an average weight. He eats normally. He likes spending most of his time on the sofa watching TV. Ben is overweight. He doesn't get out much because he is studying for hours and hours everyday. He eats too many snacks while he is working because that makes it more enjoyable for him.
There we go. Regardless of who is healthier etc, it is perfectly possible for a thin person to be much lazier than a fat one. Your argument is redundant.
And finally, why does it matter so much? Ever realised it is what's on the inside that counts?
Disclaimer: I do not promote an unhealthy lifestyle in any way whatsoever. I am a normal weight and I eat healthily. From a medical point of view, being overweight is bad for you. But it is not a reason for any discrimination.
I know this is a long post, but if you are going to disagree with me then please read the whole thing.
Original post by Spider&TheFly
I found it quite interesting how the only reasons for being overweight mentioned here are genetic disorders and disabilities. A large proportion of people who overeat tend to be stressed (comfort eating) and unhappy, problems which are increasingly common with the pressures of living in the modern world. Secondly, having an eating disorder can make a person overweight - it is common for eating disorders to be exclusively associated with very underweight people, but that simply isn't true. Also, it is not the case that all overweight people are lazy - it does relate to lifestyle habits but also eating habits which originate from childhood and the way we were brought up, so parenting has a strong influence. There are all sorts of different reasons that a person may become overweight and it makes me so angry to see people calling them lazy etc. Losing weight is easier said than done especially for those who are not very knowledgeable about diet/nutrition. But to call them lazy is simply ridiculous - just to illustrate my point, here are two hypothetical people, Bill and Ben. Bill is an average weight. He eats normally. He likes spending most of his time on the sofa watching TV. Ben is overweight. He doesn't get out much because he is studying for hours and hours everyday. He eats too many snacks while he is working because that makes it more enjoyable for him.
There we go. Regardless of who is healthier etc, it is perfectly possible for a thin person to be much lazier than a fat one. Your argument is redundant.
And finally, why does it matter so much? Ever realised it is what's on the inside that counts?
Disclaimer: I do not promote an unhealthy lifestyle in any way whatsoever. I am a normal weight and I eat healthily. From a medical point of view, being overweight is bad for you. But it is not a reason for any discrimination.
I know this is a long post, but if you are going to disagree with me then please read the whole thing.

"Losing weight is easier said than done especially for those who are not very knowledgeable about diet/nutrition" - Why dont they try and gain the knowledge about diet/nutrition? there are thousand of metabolic word experiments on the internet and available with just a few clicks.

"Bill is an average weight. He eats normally. He likes spending most of his time on the sofa watching TV." - He eats normally because for him to eat chips and meat all day it wouldn't be healthy - and lets say that he knows they taste nice - he is resisting them because he doesn't give in to the taste and knows he shouldn't eat them - thus making him less lazy by not giving into that. Doing nothing all day makes him lazy in that regard, but you wouldn't see that on him because he isn't overweight so you wouldn't know. But in a health specific regard he isnt lazy

"Ben is overweight. He doesn't get out much because he is studying for hours and hours everyday. He eats too many snacks while he is working because that makes it more enjoyable for him." - he eats too many snacks because he is too lazy to eat something healthy and have a slightly more disgusting taste, "because it makes it more enjoyable for him" - in the short term yes, obviously not in long term and this shows that he doesnt take into consideration the future of his health when eating unhealthy snacks because they are more enjoyable. Him studying hours everyday isnt relevant to his overall health - sure its not lazy compared to watching tv all day - but it has similar health effects minus the TV part. - So this shows hes not lazy in a certain regard but is in another.

"it is perfectly possible for a thin person to be much lazier than a fat one. Your argument is redundant" - that doesnt mean an arguement is redundant. no one ever claimed thin people cant be lazy - thin people can be worse health wise that certain fat people but i dont see the relevance. That thin person (weight wise) doesn't need to be less lazy because they are already thin, the fat person does need to do more physical activity because they are fat. There are reasons a thin person should do more physical activity so saying a thin person can be lazy aswell as a fat person doesnt mean a fat person can be lazy because thin people are.

"Ever realised it is what's on the inside that counts?" - on the inside is their brain and their brain is what decides what goes in. An overweight person that has complete control over their diet and doesn't have an illness is clearly lazy in a health regard. they eat unhealthy food most likely because it tastes nice and they are too lazy to not eat it or too lazy to go and workout.
(edited 6 years ago)
I just don't think people who are fat and don't feel the need to lose weight. It's not like a discrimination thing. Its just that they are fat and we all know that being fat is unhealthy. They are lazy and want to whole society to change their pespective just because they are lazy.

As you age, it is quite common to gain weight. We'll see where you are in 25+ years, and see if your views have changed.

Judge people on what they do, not on how they look relative to your view of ideal.
There are number of "Plus-size" models in the industry and there are protests to respect fat people. Question is do fat people really deserve equal respect to someone who is average weight? I am not including fat people who do may not be able to reduce their weight due to problems.

Would you disrespect someone because they’re overweight? Respect doesn’t have anything to do with this.

The issue here is the word “fat” and what it means, and at what point you cross the line into being fat. There’s a big difference between saying “Hey girls and boys, having a little bit of tubby on you is okay, you can still look amazing” and “omg you should be obese and unhealthy”

Obesity and health conditions aren’t what are being promoted by encouraging more diverse body types.
Original post by jamesgillian123
"Losing weight is easier said than done especially for those who are not very knowledgeable about diet/nutrition" - Why dont they try and gain the knowledge about diet/nutrition? there are thousand of metabolic word experiments on the internet and available with just a few clicks.

"Bill is an average weight. He eats normally. He likes spending most of his time on the sofa watching TV." - He eats normally because for him to eat chips and meat all day it wouldn't be healthy - and lets say that he knows they taste nice - he is resisting them because he doesn't give in to the taste and knows he shouldn't eat them - thus making him less lazy by not giving into that. Doing nothing all day makes him lazy in that regard, but you wouldn't see that on him because he isn't overweight so you wouldn't know. But in a health specific regard he isnt lazy

"Ben is overweight. He doesn't get out much because he is studying for hours and hours everyday. He eats too many snacks while he is working because that makes it more enjoyable for him." - he eats too many snacks because he is too lazy to eat something healthy and have a slightly more disgusting taste, "because it makes it more enjoyable for him" - in the short term yes, obviously not in long term and this shows that he doesnt take into consideration the future of his health when eating unhealthy snacks because they are more enjoyable. Him studying hours everyday isnt relevant to his overall health - sure its not lazy compared to watching tv all day - but it has similar health effects minus the TV part. - So this shows hes not lazy in a certain regard but is in another.

"it is perfectly possible for a thin person to be much lazier than a fat one. Your argument is redundant" - that doesnt mean an arguement is redundant. no one ever claimed thin people cant be lazy - thin people can be worse health wise that certain fat people but i dont see the relevance. That thin person (weight wise) doesn't need to be less lazy because they are already thin, the fat person does need to do more physical activity because they are fat. There are reasons a thin person should do more physical activity so saying a thin person can be lazy aswell as a fat person doesnt mean a fat person can be lazy because thin people are.

"Ever realised it is what's on the inside that counts?" - on the inside is their brain and their brain is what decides what goes in. An overweight person that has complete control over their diet and doesn't have an illness is clearly lazy in a health regard. they eat unhealthy food most likely because it tastes nice and they are too lazy to not eat it or too lazy to go and workout.

What a shame you spent so long writing that and all I have to say is "Ew".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending