Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I go from a 6 to an 8 in maths GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my GCSEs next year and I'm currently around a level 6 in maths. I'd love to get into astrophysics or astronomy but I'd need to do further maths A-level. I need an 8/9 to do further maths. Is it possible to go up to an 8? I'm prepared to work really hard for it but I don't really know what/how to revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svbrina)
    I'm doing my GCSEs next year and I'm currently around a level 6 in maths. I'd love to get into astrophysics or astronomy but I'd need to do further maths A-level. I need an 8/9 to do further maths. Is it possible to go up to an 8? I'm prepared to work really hard for it but I don't really know what/how to revise.
    Yeah, it's possible. You just need to be prepared to sacrifice your spare time to revise for maths after school. You've still got plenty of time to revise for maths, say if you did 1 hour a day on maths, you would probably cover your entire specification and ace your maths test.

I'm in the same boat, I need a 7/8 and I'm a 6. With a little more revision, we will both ace our tests.

Hope I could help

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's definitely possible.
    If you're prepared to work, you'll nail it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is! As long as you put the effort in, it's completely possible, especially since you've got until next year! At the end of year 10 I was on a 4. Maths was my weakest point and from around January time I decided I needed to do well. I put loads of effort in and ended up getting a 7 so yes it's completely possible! As long as you know all the content and keep practicing, i tried to do at least an hour a day from January time and then once March time came I tried to just do as much as I could. The key with maths is to keep going over the content as I found I could easily completely forget how to do a certain topic within 3 weeks if I didn't go over it and make sure I completely understood it and looked over it regularly. Good luck with your gcses!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    it totally possible as everyone else is saying
    but I'd just like to add that when you are revising,
    do past papers and time yourself
    but don't stress about them too much at the beginning as they are more useful once you have done at least half of the course

hope this helps 😀

ReputationRep:
    Yes its possible. I should know because i crammed all my revision the day before the exam and still got a 9. I was holding out for an 8 because i didn't realise the raw mark boundary was 79%.

ReputationRep:
    Think about it here. You're literally asking "is it possible to improve in a subject". It's obvious, friend.

ReputationRep:
    You don't actually need fm for astronomy and astrophysics but you do need to be good at maths to be able to do physics (even a-level maths is baby level compared to what you do in a physics degree) so starting to improve your mathematical ability at this stage will be important if you want to do that degree .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    You don't actually need fm for astronomy and astrophysics but you do need to be good at maths to be able to do physics (even a-level maths is baby level compared to what you do in a physics degree) so starting to improve your mathematical ability at this stage will be important if you want to do that degree .
    Should I just take the normal maths a level with physics or do you think further maths will be more helpful?

ReputationRep:
    Should I just take the normal maths a level with physics or do you think further maths will be more helpful?
    I mean yes the ideal set is maths, fm and physics but say if you get a 7 in maths then you might fm too hard in which case it would be better to do something else other than fm which you would be able to get a good grade in. You can still get into excellent unis for physics with A*A in maths and physics with an A in a third subject .

ReputationRep:
    Yes I was working at level 4’s in January this year when I was in year 11. In real exam I got an 8. If I could go it in 4 months so can u

ReputationRep:
    i started year 11 with a 4 and ended with an 8 so yes its possible

ReputationRep:
    I mean yes the ideal set is maths, fm and physics but say if you get a 7 in maths then you might fm too hard in which case it would be better to do something else other than fm which you would be able to get a good grade in. You can still get into excellent unis for physics with A*A in maths and physics with an A in a third subject .
    I suppose if I improve loads in maths I'll try fm but regular maths, physics, and a third subject I can get a high grade in might be more realistic

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if I improve loads in maths I'll try fm but regular maths, physics, and a third subject I can get a high grade in might be more realistic
    Yeah you'll catch up on all the fm stuff you need for physics on the first year uni maths for physics modules anyway .

ReputationRep:
    At this level I'd say really try to understand, not just memorise, the stuff you are doing at gcse. Also recommend you start doing the year 11 Issac physics mentoring scheme. They give you a handful of maths and physics problems a week and I wish I had known about it in year 11, if I had I would be much better than I currently am (and I'm actually p good anyway) at physics. https://isaacphysics.org/pages/isaac_mentor

ReputationRep:
    Of course it possible!! Anything is possible if you aim and try very hard for it! Im at a 6 too and my maths teacher told me that I am capable of getting a 7 or an 8, all you got to do is keep trying!

ReputationRep:
    Yesssss definitely if you put the work in. I went from low sevens to an 8 in y11, do lots of past papers and questions and ASK YOUR TEACHER IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!! Good Luck!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i did my exams in the summer that passed, i went from a 4 to a 9, so yeah, its more than possible. how do you do it? - past questions even if its from the old spec.

ReputationRep:
    At this level I'd say really try to understand, not just memorise, the stuff you are doing at gcse. Also recommend you start doing the year 11 Issac physics mentoring scheme. They give you a handful of maths and physics problems a week and I wish I had known about it in year 11, if I had I would be much better than I currently am (and I'm actually p good anyway) at physics. https://isaacphysics.org/pages/isaac_mentor
    Thanks for this! That's really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nj1234)
    i did my exams in the summer that passed, i went from a 4 to a 9, so yeah, its more than possible. how do you do it? - past questions even if its from the old spec.
    Past papers definitely seems to be the best way to revise, do you know where I can get them from? And well done on getting a 9

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.