Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth me applying to Oxford? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just like a lot of people, I would LOVE to go to Oxford, but I wouldn't exactly say that going has been my life-long dream. *Queue the gasps*. Obviously if I applied and I was accepted it's not like I would turn it down,but I am sceptical to apply there because Medicine is already such a competitive course that I don't want to waste one of the four options if I'm going to get rejected (I also don't deal too well with stress lol - early declines).
    But id there is a decent chance that I would make a competitive application then maybe I will apply. My family are very keen for me to apply.
    I've only got my GCSEs to go off sorry, I achieved 8 in maths, 8 in English language, 9 in English literature, A*s in everything else and A in chemistry (argggghhhh 1 mark of *, scarred 4 life mate). So thats 10A*s and 1A.
    I have done work experience in a GP and have a Saturday job at a pharmacy.
    Extracurricular :I have been a prefect and am on the college council. Play netball for school, raise money through envision for BHF and am undertaking the EPQ on ADHD, I am also an honours student in my school, have done DofE Bronze, Piano G5, LAMDA g7, Maths masterclass....
    Studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RS A-level
    I know this isn't much to go off but would appreciate any replies!
    Don't be afraid to be honest haha!

ReputationRep:
    Are you hoping to apply for the 2018 entry?? Because it's too late for oxbridge; the application deadline was 15th October...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redvelvetcake11)
    Just like a lot of people, I would LOVE to go to Oxford, but I wouldn't exactly say that going has been my life-long dream. *Queue the gasps*. Obviously if I applied and I was accepted it's not like I would turn it down,but I am sceptical to apply there because Medicine is already such a competitive course that I don't want to waste one of the four options if I'm going to get rejected (I also don't deal too well with stress lol - early declines).
    But id there is a decent chance that I would make a competitive application then maybe I will apply. My family are very keen for me to apply.
    I've only got my GCSEs to go off sorry, I achieved 8 in maths, 8 in English language, 9 in English literature, A*s in everything else and A in chemistry (argggghhhh 1 mark of *, scarred 4 life mate). So thats 10A*s and 1A.
    I have done work experience in a GP and have a Saturday job at a pharmacy.
    Extracurricular :I have been a prefect and am on the college council. Play netball for school, raise money through envision for BHF and am undertaking the EPQ on ADHD, I am also an honours student in my school, have done DofE Bronze, Piano G5, LAMDA g7, Maths masterclass....
    Studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RS A-level
    I know this isn't much to go off but would appreciate any replies!
    Don't be afraid to be honest haha!
    If you actually need to ask this question then you don't have the common sense to go to Oxford, or any medical school for that matter. Your stats are good, I'm not going to stroke your ego.

ReputationRep:
    Lol as someone who will most likely be rejected because of the BMAT today, I would just say to be prepared for the brutality of the whole process. Addressing each of your concerns:
    1. The Oxbridge deadline is the same as the Medicine deadline.
    2. Please don't apply just because your family want you to. From what I have researched (and the reason I applied there), Oxbridge is very different to most other medical schools, and not everyone will like the extremely traditional course structure and the teaching methods etc at Oxford.
    3. So far your GCSEs are in line with their statistics of a successful candidate, however it is important to consider that the only factors they take into account in order to invite you to interview are a) your GCSE results (number and proportion of A*s) and b) your BMAT results, which have to be well above average. Whilst you are on track to a successful application, nobody knows how the BMAT will go so that is just a risk you take.
    4. Your extra-curriculars sound great but aren't really relevant for Oxford medicine.

I guess the best thing to do would be to really look into the details of the course at Oxford and decide whether you think it is for you

ReputationRep:
    Because of the 1A your GCSEs slightly lower than average for Oxford (lol) but obviously still fine.

Yes you should apply if you want. Go to an open day. The main factors will be BMAT, then interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoii12)
    Are you hoping to apply for the 2018 entry?? Because it's too late for oxbridge; the application deadline was 15th October...
    I think the fact that he/she sat the new style GCSEs in maths and English implies that they are currently in year 12 for 2019 entry.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what your predicted in your A-level. Also I feel like you just want people to pat your back for getting 10A*s. If really lack the common sense to think that those are good enough I don't think you should apply

ReputationRep:
    Oxford literally only look at GCSEs and BMAT before interview. Your GCSEs are fine, you'll need around 6, 6, and 3A in the BMAT probably, but the BMAT is tough lol, after sitting it yesterday, I'm certain I've gotten a rejection. So basically if you feel confident about the BMAT and you think you'll like it at Oxford, apply.

ReputationRep:
    I feel more or less like you. I am a student from a non-angloparlant country, and I've applied to unis in England mostly because of their better quality of education, but also because it is quite easier for me than for English students to get into good unis. With this I mean that, if I go to England, I won't have to sit the equivalent of your A levels exam, and my equivalento to the GCSE also don't count, which means that the only grades that are weighted in my application are my year 12 grades (in my country, we get official grades throughout the A levels course(not just predicted) in both first and second year, and we have a strange method by which we calculate a percentage of those grades plus a percentage of the grades of our final A level coursee plus bonus points... it takes a long time to explain this sistem well, but, anyway, english unis just take in consideration the «official grades»
    This said, Oxford is the only english uni that also assesses my final exam grades. Obviously, If they give me an offer, I will commit to trying to archieve the best result possible in that exam, but, if I get an offer from them, should I use my firm on them? Because the real problem is that their language requirements are way higher than those of the other unis I've applied to (UCL-offer,Manchester- not official, but informally confirmed after interview, and probably arriving on Track in a few days, Durham, King's) and putting as firm and Insurance the 2 beat unis(UCL and Oxf) seems a bit too risky to me, but I don't want to lose a place at UCL just because of not enough self confidence, but Manch and Kings' are solid insurances...I don't know what to do!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.