The Student Room Group

Oxford 2018 Official Invitations to Interview (GENERAL THREAD FOR OXFORD APPLICANTS)

Hey everyone! Here's a cool lil thread for people to talk about Oxford interview offers - whether you get one, general info about interviews or anything about Oxford itself. I hope everyone's tests went well & you all feel like you can do it, because you cannnnn!
To break the ice, maybe people can say:
Name: Immy (helloooo)
GCSE Results: 9A*s, 2As & 1B.
AS Subjects & results: Eng Lit (A), History (A), Latin (A) and an EPQ (predicted A*).
A2 Subjects & predictions: Same subjects & A*A*A*.
Which college: Oriel college because I looove the actual fellows there, the general vibe, the beauty of it, & the friendliness of the people.
What degree: Classics and English.
And 3 things you about yourself you like because it's nice to boost your confidence in such a stressful process lol: I'm from Italy (it's a cool country), I love reading & I can sing pretty well.

@plankyton wrote out all the links you’ll need to keep up with the process (thank you man!!!):

Interview Invite Tings
Add your interview info here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsmHQSeWS_9i7s1lOuewGNMx9wmJ692NbSFGLODg3qLIo6IA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Spreadsheet with all invites received so far:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xVtZVFQVbtwmdAWdeyyoro8GKuuV9QwGd80Pc58nbeo/edit?usp=sharing

Oxford Stalking Page 2018:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5013146

So yeeeaahh. Good luck to all of you!! Share anything to do with Oxford applications that you want to here. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When do interview invites typically go out? Is it the end of November?
Original post by CDMK

My course states early December!
Original post by CDMK

Invites will generally be handed out around the end of November to start of December, a few weeks before the actual interview itself.
Name: Leah
GCSE Results: 4A*s, 5As & 1B.
A2 Subjects & predictions: English Lit A*, French A, Religious Studies A.
Which college: New College
What degree: English and French
(edited 6 years ago)
Got my invite today :biggrin: BioSci at St John's
Original post by Neophyteee

Are you home or international?
Original post by ankur deswal
Are you home or international?

Home
congrats! and good luck.
i am international. i think it will take time for English.
Reply 9
Hi there! Do you know if all the shorlisted applicants have already been contacted? Cause interwiews timetables are already on the website
Original post by Aus_74
Hi there! Do you know if all the shorlisted applicants have already been contacted? Cause interwiews timetables are already on the website

Most shortlisted applicants haven’t already been contacted. The timetable is just up so everyone knows which dates to keep free just in case! :yep:
Reply 11
Original post by EmilySarah00
Most shortlisted applicants haven’t already been contacted. The timetable is just up so everyone knows which dates to keep free just in case! :yep:

Thank you!
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/interviews/interview-timetable

If it helps most UK applicants last year heard between 23rd and 30th November with some variation by college & subject as large numbers to process. I think some choral/music scholars were a touch earlier but I don’t recall any home applicant hearing this early last year. I heard on 25/11 for interview attendance required from 7/12-9/12. So about 2 weeks before the subject interview dates shown on Oxford site seemed a fair rule of thumb. Nobody should be panicking yet!
Reply 13
Original post by SonOfAGeek
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/interviews/interview-timetable

If it helps most UK applicants last year heard between 23rd and 30th November with some variation by college & subject as large numbers to process. I think some choral/music scholars were a touch earlier but I don’t recall any home applicant hearing this early last year. I heard on 25/11 for interview attendance required from 7/12-9/12. So about 2 weeks before the subject interview dates shown on Oxford site seemed a fair rule of thumb. Nobody should be panicking yet!

Yes some Biological Sciences applicants did hear this early last year, you obviously just didn't know about them.
Reply 14
Original post by SonOfAGeek

Should have added home students.
Original post by Irwin
Should have added home students.

Yes, we only know what we know. Most students only heard later in November, esp. for humanities. There is no reason for folk to panic!.
(edited 6 years ago)
We are expecting to send out interview invitations for the following courses tomorrow (Tuesday 14th November):

Biochemistry
Biology
Fine Art

We will confirm this tomorrow morning.

At this stage, we do not have updates for other subjects. When we have news we will post details.

Thank you for your patience.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi may I ask does anyone have any idea on how exactly are the interview carried out? I've heard that an interview usually consists of:

50% general questions and questions targetting our personal statements
25% subject knowledge
25% brain teaser

Can current Oxford students verify whether it's true or not? Many thanks:biggrin:D (I'm invited to Bio Sci interview and am super nervous!)
Reply 18
Original post by _spidra_
Hi may I ask does anyone have any idea on how exactly are the interview carried out? I've heard that an interview usually consists of:

50% general questions and questions targetting our personal statements
25% subject knowledge
25% brain teaser

Can current Oxford students verify whether it's true or not? Many thanks:biggrin:D (I'm invited to Bio Sci interview and am super nervous!)

It is more like 5% general questions and 95% finding out how you deal with new information in your subject area. The idea seems to be to mimic an actual tutorial and see how you cope: they will keep digging until they know where your existing knowledge ends and then introduce something new. Given that you will have been predicted A*/A (or equivalent) in the relevant A levels, a high level of subject knowledge is assumed.
Source: my own interviews, many years ago and one of my offspring, much more recently.
Original post by Neophyteee

Did you get a notification on ucas or a letter? Just wondering how it comes trough if you hear back

Quick Reply