The Student Room Group

A-level options help!

Hi! So I'm currently in year 11 and tonight we had our sixth form open evening which I attended. I have set my sights on going to sixth form, I absolutely love geography and this is something that I would potentially like to carry even further than sixth form, although I'm still uncertain. I also enjoy all three sciences and so I have been thinking about taking two of them, physics is probably my favourite but I'm not sure if this is just because I have a great teacher and then chemistry and then biology but I don't really want to take maths, simply because I don't enjoy it that much. I have an amazing maths teacher at the moment and he has encouraged me to take the higher paper GCSE (this isn't yet set in stone) and my predicted grade is roughly a 6+ although the last test I did I got an 8 (this was only on algebra though) and since a lot of my science teachers said it is best to take maths with the science courses I don't know what to do but when talking to one of the A-level maths teachers she basically told me not to do it as I would struggle too much and so I wondering if a) anyone else is in the same boat as me? b) If it's too hard to take say physics (or biology and chemistry together) without taking maths or c) How difficult do people find these courses? Any help would be much appreciated as I feel so overwhelmed right now!!
Reply 1
If you not particularly enjoy maths or if you find it difficult you will find it very hard for A-levels and it will just be a drag. You will dread having maths and most likely get a worse grade than the rest. However, If you are interested in doing a career that involves maths or needs a maths A-level, you'll obviously need to do maths (e.g a broker- maths, engineer- maths and physics). Also remember that a few other subjects will include maths even if you don't take maths. For example, I have been told that there is a lot of maths in geography and I know that there is a lot in physics also .
Reply 2
I do enjoy it to a certain extent now I've got a good teacher but it's not my favourite - I'm not finding it too difficult at the moment but I feel I probably will. Yeah that's true. The thing is I don't know what career I want to do (it'll probably have something to do with geography) so I don't want to limit my options. That's true, I just don't know if I'll be able to keep up with the physics if I can't keep up with the maths. I'm going to talk to my maths teacher about it next lesson. Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest