Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I am currently undergoing my A levels in the UK, in which I have chosen the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Business Studies. I want to persue a career in the pharmaceutical industry. I was undergoing research into what degree would be best and encountered an MPharm (Masters in Pharmacy) which was 4 years long and entry requirements was simply A levels results. I was just simply wondering whether or not I could study a MPharm straight after A levels as it’s 4 years long which is quite unusual for a masters? Thanks I’m advanced !

ReputationRep:
    Yes the structure is a bit like engineering degrees, Meng or Optometry MOptom. Although the leaving award is a postgraduate degree, the first three years you will be doing undergraduate studies at year 3 some courses offer an exit + graduation with bachelors others insist on students completing the 4th year (an intensive postgraduate course) and graduating with a Masters degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chance_rydes947)
    Yes the structure is a bit like engineering degrees, Meng or Optometry MOptom. Although the leaving award is a postgraduate degree, the first three years you will be doing undergraduate studies at year 3 some courses offer an exit + graduation with bachelors others insist on students completing the 4th year (an intensive postgraduate course) and graduating with a Masters degree!
    Okay I understand, thanks very much for taking your time to explain it to me. I wish you good luck for the future

ReputationRep:
    The MPharm is not a Masters like an MA or MSc. It is a Bachelors degree. Contact your chosen Uni/s for advice.
    To work in the pharmaceutical industry, a pure degree in something like Biochem or pharmacology might be better. Very few with a MPharm go into industry without doing a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy.chemist)
    The MPharm is not a Masters like an MA or MSc. It is a Bachelors degree. Contact your chosen Uni/s for advice.
    To work in the pharmaceutical industry, a pure degree in something like Biochem or pharmacology might be better. Very few with a MPharm go into industry without doing a PhD.
    So what you are saying is that, working in the pharmetical industry is available once I have acquired a pure degree in pharmacology or biochemistry in BSc Hons.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it is more likely that you could do that, than if you do pharmacy.
    I read somewhere there are only 12 pre-reg places in industry but 3000 graduates in pharmacy per yr. You are going to be very lucky by 2022 to get ANY pre-reg let alone an industry one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As stated above, the MPharm is an integrated undergraduate masters course - you cover the content of a standard undergraduate bachelors degree over three years and continue to an additional year covering content at the masters level or between UG and PG level.

However, Pharmacy is a vocational degree to train those intending to become dispensing pharmacists. If your interest is in pharmaceutical and pharmacological research, you may be better suited to considering a degree in Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Science, Medicinal Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Physiology, Natural Sciences, Biochemistry or Chemistry. These would better prepare you for both industry roles in this sector, and for potential PhD level research (often a prerequisite to working in higher level positions in research and design in the pharma industry).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.