Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please give me some advice on my friendship issues Watch

Last year I had a lot of close friends. I was in a friend group that I wanted to be in however after a while I was being excluded. People were talking about it, I felt very uncomfortable around these 'friends' who I used to be so close to and I was not happy. This year, in year 11 I decided to remove myself from this friend group and at first I finally felt happy and comfortable. Now, I have no idea how but now that I have no solid friendship 'group', I have barely any extremely close friends and I feel so alone. I'm friends with everyone and no one dislikes me per say but I don't have anyone I can really talk to or confide in anymore. I used to have many friends like this and now I don't. I used to have lots of confidence and now i don't. I have a best friend but she has started to hang out with the group that I left and I cannot hangout with them as I feel excluded as I felt before. I am often by myself or with a group of people who already have their cliques so I'm always the odd one out. Help me I don't know what to do. Please can someone give me some advice on this situation. I am in year 11 and only have 1 year left of this situation but I don't know how much longer I can live like this.!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you don't need anyone do everything for yourself.

The same thing happened to me in the first year of sixth form.. My group of friends completely ostracised me and I had nobody. Along with that and finding sixth form awful I was really miserable for a long time, despite that however, it helped me make the right choices. Instead of staying at sixth form, I left and went to college and am now getting the best grades.

What I'm trying to say is that although it really sucks now, in the long run it'll help you make decisions for yourself, not because of some silly friends that you probably will lose contact with if you choose to go to university. There are plenty more opportunities to make friends and I promise you'll be fine just like I am now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Last year I had a lot of close friends. I was in a friend group that I wanted to be in however after a while I was being excluded. People were talking about it, I felt very uncomfortable around these 'friends' who I used to be so close to and I was not happy. This year, in year 11 I decided to remove myself from this friend group and at first I finally felt happy and comfortable. Now, I have no idea how but now that I have no solid friendship 'group', I have barely any extremely close friends and I feel so alone. I'm friends with everyone and no one dislikes me per say but I don't have anyone I can really talk to or confide in anymore. I used to have many friends like this and now I don't. I used to have lots of confidence and now i don't. I have a best friend but she has started to hang out with the group that I left and I cannot hangout with them as I feel excluded as I felt before. I am often by myself or with a group of people who already have their cliques so I'm always the odd one out. Help me I don't know what to do. Please can someone give me some advice on this situation. I am in year 11 and only have 1 year left of this situation but I don't know how much longer I can live like this.!
    Year 11 is a very important year for you. You have to sit your GCSE exams. Honestly what I would say about this is that you should concentrate on yourself. Don't think about friends. I only keep in contact with TWO friends from secondary school. Friends form secondary are nowhere near as important as the friends that you will make in the future. For now I feel as though you should give more attention to your education as that is way more important. I learnt my lesson by prioritising my friends over everything else and that turned out pretty crap for me. In year 11 I had 'friends' too. I felt left out with certain groups of people but I kept telling myself that these people are not important. After one year do you think you'll see these people again? Or do you think that you'll even keep in contact with them? It's most likely NO. Trust me when I say this. I've been through this. Friends from secondary school don't mean crap. The friends that you'll make in the future are the friends that will stick with you for a VERY long time. Ignore those friends and focus on YOU. Your education is important than them. Don't prioritise them. Cos if you do, they'll end up going across the finish line while you're still in the race.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.