Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I enjoy Maths, and am currently a 1st year CompSci student. My memory is poor so I prefer to solve questions without rote memorization of certain methods and rather by intuition/visualisation, hence got rekt by A Level exams (is D2 having a giggle? Seems physically impossible to draw an activity network in < 30 mins). Currently at a good-ish uni. I thought about switching to CompSci and Maths in the first few weeks, but decided against it to prevent getting rekt twice in a row. So far my course has been more like a degree in computational common sense and arbitrary standards, and I often find myself doing Maths in spare time since we have ages to complete courseworks that take less than an hour - I'm currently reading through An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers to help with an investigation I'm doing and have completed multiple friend's Maths problem sheets out of boredom. I'm hoping my course gets more rigorous/conceptually challenging, but how long might that take? So far I've got 100% in the "courseworks" we've been set, but will likely get rekt again by exams unless they give extra time. When the most challenging topic in our "Discrete Maths" lectures is proof by induction, I'm starting to get concerned.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomDude111)
    Hi, I enjoy Maths, and am currently a 1st year CompSci student. My memory is poor so I prefer to solve questions without rote memorization of certain methods and rather by intuition/visualisation, hence got rekt by A Level exams (is D2 having a giggle? Seems physically impossible to draw an activity network in < 30 mins). Currently at a good-ish uni. I thought about switching to CompSci and Maths in the first few weeks, but decided against it to prevent getting rekt twice in a row. So far my course has been more like a degree in computational common sense and arbitrary standards, and I often find myself doing Maths in spare time since we have ages to complete courseworks that take less than an hour - I'm currently reading through An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers to help with an investigation I'm doing and have completed multiple friend's Maths problem sheets out of boredom. I'm hoping my course gets more rigorous/conceptually challenging, but how long might that take? So far I've got 100% in the "courseworks" we've been set, but will likely get rekt again by exams unless they give extra time. When the most challenging topic in our "Discrete Maths" lectures is proof by induction, I'm starting to get concerned.
    You should appreciate that there may be lots of students from different educational backgrounds and curricula (particularly internationally) who have not had the same prior knowledge on certain topics as you have.

First year often feels basic and boring, particularly at the start of first term. The point of first year, from the universities point of view, is to make sure students are prepared to tackle undergraduate study in second and third year, since often the first year will not contribute towards your final degree classification.

Assuming that they are using Bruner's spiral curriculum model, this will involve a lot of repetition of previous ideas and concepts; ideally, making the questions themselves harder and more challenging than your prior knowledge, so as to build on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    You should appreciate that there may be lots of students from different educational backgrounds and curricula (particularly internationally) who have not had the same prior knowledge on certain topics as you have.

First year often feels basic and boring, particularly at the start of first term. The point of first year, from the universities point of view, is to make sure students are prepared to tackle undergraduate study in second and third year, since often the first year will not contribute towards your final degree classification.

Assuming that they are using Bruner's spiral curriculum model, this will involve a lot of repetition of previous ideas and concepts; ideally, making the questions themselves harder and more challenging than your prior knowledge, so as to build on it.
    Fair enough, I guess it's just not what I expected. One of our modules should probably be in a humanities course, and having researched modules prior to applying to unis I'm pretty sure they added it in for our year. I went to a pretty average state school that didn't offer any courses in CompSci/Computing, so I'm mostly self taught. And from what I can tell, many of the international students have had private education and are finding the course equally trivial. I guess I'll just wait and see, worst case is I have a bunch of free time this year.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomDude111)
    Fair enough, I guess it's just not what I expected. One of our modules should probably be in a humanities course, and having researched modules prior to applying to unis I'm pretty sure they added it in for our year. I went to a pretty average state school and from what I can tell, many of the international students have had private education and are finding the course equally trivial. I guess I'll just wait and see, worst case is I have a bunch of free time this year.
    Make use of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.