Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I screwed up my bmat, will Leeds still consider my application? (medicine,A100 2018) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I am a upper sixth student (my nationality are non-EU and non-UK), predicted with A*A*AA. I think my academic performance and personal statement(modified for 7-8 times with the aid of my teachers) are ok. However, I messed up my BMAT yesterday. Will it be an issue? Can anyone study medicine in Leeds share their opinions? I have no idea whether my application can still be possible for being invited for interview...

I will be grateful if there is anyone answering my question.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by spiderman17)
    Hey guys! I am a upper sixth student (my nationality are non-EU and non-UK), predicted with A*A*AA. I think my academic performance and personal statement(modified for 7-8 times with the aid of my teachers) are ok. However, I messed up my BMAT yesterday. Will it be an issue? Can anyone study medicine in Leeds share their opinions? I have no idea whether my application can still be possible for being invited for interview...

• The University of Leeds do not operate a strict BMAT cut-off.
    • BMAT total score calculated through a sum of one’s BMAT Section 1, 2 and 3 scores, although BMAT Section 3 is given half the weighting of the first two sections.
    • BMAT Section 3 score is also taken into consideration during the interview stage of the selection process.
    • Those in the top 20% of BMAT scores will receive the full mark available for this part of the application process, with those in the bottom 20% receiving the lowest mark available.
    • Overall BMAT weighting is equivalent to 50% of the personal statement weighting and 15% of the academic scoring weighting.

So in other words, it's important, but it's not impossible to get an offer with a low BMAT, as long as your grades & personal statement are amazing.

ReputationRep:

What were your GCSES?

Which country are you from, just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helloitsmeq23)
    What were your GCSES?

Which country are you from, just curious
    I didn't do GCSE. I am an australian😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do GCSE. I am an australian😂
    It should be okay because they put only 10% weighting on the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helloitsmeq23)
    It should be okay because they put only 10% weighting on the BMAT
    Thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    • The University of Leeds do not operate a strict BMAT cut-off.
    • BMAT total score calculated through a sum of one’s BMAT Section 1, 2 and 3 scores, although BMAT Section 3 is given half the weighting of the first two sections.
    • BMAT Section 3 score is also taken into consideration during the interview stage of the selection process.
    • Those in the top 20% of BMAT scores will receive the full mark available for this part of the application process, with those in the bottom 20% receiving the lowest mark available.
    • Overall BMAT weighting is equivalent to 50% of the personal statement weighting and 15% of the academic scoring weighting.

So in other words, it's important, but it's not impossible to get an offer with a low BMAT, as long as your grades & personal statement are amazing.
    What is section 1 and 2 and the weighting

ReputationRep:
    They said at open day it's Section 1 (Reasoning) + Section 2 (GCSE Science/Maths) + Section 3 (Essay) CONTENT/2 gives a total score (S3 STANDARD OF ENGLISH is not used)

This score is then used to rank you against other Leeds medicine applicants. Top 20% get 5 points, next 20% 4 etc etc. What score gets you 5 points therefore varies (a bit) from year to year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.