Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been meaning to open about this issue for quite some time, and a law student I feel tempted to discuss.

Recent news of sexual harassments on some of the powerful individuals in the Hollywood industry is disturbing. It is difficult to argue when over 30-40 women come forward bringing allegations against one individual. But, are we being too judgmental on these topics?

Allegations do not prove someone guilty. Although it is highly likely that these individuals might be guilty, they have all denied these allegations. Why are we so quick to destroy someone based on pure allegations that occurred decades ago? For instance, if I were to allege your father abused my 10 years ago, it would merely be just an allegation and be destroying that person is just being stupid. I would bring in the case of Kevin Spacey here, a very well respected figure in the movie industry. Recently, there were allegations against for assaulting minors decades back. This is a serious allegation, but the question here what defines sexual harassment? Would a mere unintentional touch classify under this category? Would a friend request to a stranger classify as a sexual harassment?

There are instances where I feel sometimes people come forward these allegations because they want attention. This of course may not be true, but how is able to believe just a mere allegation? Just because a woman is a victim, does it mean every word is true? Some of these women have even have accepted settlement offers long back.

Sometimes, I even feel, these people voluntarily accepted to involve in sexual favours to advance in their careers. These are all possibilities, and none of them is true unless there is any evidence backing them. Similarly, these allegations must not be held true unless there is some evidential support backing them.

Spacey has been recently stripped of an Emmy, his tv shows, all based on what? a mere allegation?

To conclude, I completely support both men and women who have come forward, but I would instead wait until an investigation is concluded to base my judgment. There is a possibility that there are innocent parties involved here, and more needs to done or proven before ruining someone's life.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Here's my take on the situation. The entertainment industry is a very profit motivated industry and allegations of sexual assault (regardless of whether they are true or not) will likely hurt the reputation of these organisations, such as Emmy's, and the producers of house of cards which is also a commercial operation,if they don't act in one way or another against these "accused sexual assaulters."

So these organisations don't need proof beyond reasonable doubt for any allegations to be true all they need is sufficient sensationalism and they would take action against the "suspect."

In my own opinion everyone should be innocent until proven guilty in court beyond reasonable doubt however the people/organisations taking action against Weinstein and Spacey are all private organisations who can do whatever they want.

Its completely true that the situation has most probably been sensationalized but objective evidence is not important to commercial operations that only care about public opinion and reputation, so basically you can easily be a ruined man in Hollywood if someone accuses you of something as heinous as sexual assault even should there be little to no evidence, especially considering its very fashionable to play victim culture to sexual assault at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't agree more with your take. But, the issue here how naive people can be. It is not just about the movie industry, these situations become dangerous when they create a precedent of falsifying circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said Sexual Assault is a very popular topic of discussion at the moment and we've reached a stage where, because of feminist claims that rape is under-reported and overlooked, pleading innocence is not even a valid defense anymore.

The whole idea of the possibility of a female lying over rape-claims will make you seem like a rape-sympathiser nowadays

Also bandwagoning plays quite a role too. The problem is that no one is willing to defend the alleged assaulters even before it is known if they are innocent or guilty. What is happening in the movie industry is very much like a witch hunt at the moment and everyone should realise that witness testimonies are not always reliable or true and that solid evidence is required.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren_593)
    This is a serious allegation, but the question here what defines sexual harassment? Would a mere unintentional touch classify under this category? Would a friend request to a stranger classify as a sexual harassment?
    I think this is part of the problem. I think many of us have had someone accidentally brush up against us and we've thought nothing of it.

Spacey has been recently stripped of an Emmy, his tv shows, all based on what? a mere allegation?
    I wasn't aware that he'd been stripped of his Emmy. But I believe that's unfair. He's (and someone correct me if I'm wrong - I've not being following it) only been accused and not been investigated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElvinNZ)
    Here's my take on the situation. The entertainment industry is a very profit motivated industry and allegations of sexual assault (regardless of whether they are true or not) will likely hurt the reputation of these organisations, such as Emmy's, and the producers of house of cards which is also a commercial operation,if they don't act in one way or another against these "accused sexual assaulters."
    Quite and until sexual assault became a very popular topic of discussion the easiest way for the entertainment industry to protect its reputation and profits was to silence accusers, they've brought it on themselves.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.