Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When applying to digital marketing jobs, should I put my social media accounts on CV? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Basically I'm in 3rd year of a digital degree and I am looking to apply for digital content / marketing / media internships. I really love marketing and advertising so thats an area I would love to progress in to.

Would it be a good idea to include my Instagram account username? I've built it to be a travel page and it has 50,000+ followers. Will this help my CV by showing I can build / manage a following? I've also designed and implemented a website, should I include this? It was kind of just a hobby but now wondering if I should tell employers about it ..

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes ofcourse!
    Remember you're trying to stand out and you're in a fierce competition with other graduates to secure a job! Any hobbies or digital experience you may have is a great look on your CV

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely, but don't just put the account name and hope they'll look at it (people looking at CVs won't have time to do that). Make sure you explain how you've grown the account and gained more followers, and what skills you've gained from managing it.

ReputationRep:
    Both the Instagram account and website are definitely worth telling employers about. Outline the experience managing them has given you and how it could be applied to a digital marketing role.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. If you're asking someone to trust in your digital marketing capabilities then demonstrating how you have successfully digitally marketed is a no brainer.

Be prepared to critique your work too, "this went well, this didnt, if I was to do it again I'd do this differently" etc.

It sounds like you're off to a great start, good luck!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Faye,

Yes both would be extremely useful to include! It's important to highlight your successes to potential employers.

Our mentoring partner, Inspire, Motivate and Engage (IME) work with career mentors who can help you improve your skills to secure your dream job.

This month we are actually focusing on careers in Advertising. If you're interested in pursuing a career in advertising but are struggling to get your foot in the door, IME can support you with one of their schemes.

This month's mentors:
    • Creative Director- Advertising
    • Head of Strategy- Advertising

Your mentor can help you in a number of ways:
    • Share valuable information about your dream role and the industry
    • Help you tailor your CV so that it stand out to the right people
    • Provide interview practice sessions and prep you before any upcoming opportunities
    • Explore roles available to you and routes to employment
    • Act as a sounding board for career advice and support
    • Also, if the candidate is committed, the mentor can often provide work experience and graduate placement opportunities

Mentoring can take place face-to-face or online via the IME online mentoring platform, making it easy for you to reach your mentor!

You can apply here: advice.milkround.com/mentoring

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.