Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jumping back on the treadmill after a while Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, hope everyone is well. Just looking for some advice. I started back lightly at the gym after a 6 month absence dude to a ruptured achillies, and hit the treadmill again. Achillies is 100% now thankfully but I only jogged 1K at 8.0 kph. I smoke around 5 per day, not ideal I know..! Anyhoo my heart rate was up at 179 and I had pains in my chest so I stopped after the 1k.

I am just trying to get a little fitter, not training for a marathon and I know smoking will always limit my cardio respiratory endurance but are these chest pains typical of just starting back out and will I get fitter the more frequently that I run?

Thanks much
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tickytac)
    Hi all, hope everyone is well. Just looking for some advice. I started back lightly at the gym after a 6 month absence dude to a ruptured achillies, and hit the treadmill again. Achillies is 100% now thankfully but I only jogged 1K at 8.0 kph. I smoke around 5 per day, not ideal I know..! Anyhoo my heart rate was up at 179 and I had pains in my chest so I stopped after the 1k.

I am just trying to get a little fitter, not training for a marathon and I know smoking will always limit my cardio respiratory endurance but are these chest pains typical of just starting back out and will I get fitter the more frequently that I run?

Thanks much
    Just listen to your body and pace yourself. It might take 4-6 weeks to get back to near where you were.

Take breaks , lower the pace etc. record your times and increase slowly.

If its just cardio, then try some variation other than just treadmill.

If its fitness then you will also benefit from doing some weights.

If the pains gone, then try again but do 250, then 500, then 500 an keep adding the next time you visit. Fitness will come back noticeably after a few weeks or sooner.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.